Dogs transported in campers

Hi I am in the process of planning a camper conversion. We have 3 Border Collies and were thinking of getting the convertors to put crates in back instead of rock and roll bed, has anyone other solutions? or done something like this. Guessing it would probably need to be a lwb
Any ideas gratefully received

Thanks Sjacko you've got good eyesight to spot those!
I'll have a chat with Bodans. Were you generally happy with your conversion by Bodans?
Any thing to look out for in particular?

We are booked in next February so are only in the planning stages so far. We did plenty of research and they were local and offered everything we wanted so we are happy so far as nothing is too much trouble. I couldn't find a bad review about them on the web either, only downside is they are booked up into March but so are any converters with a good reputation. Hope you find a suitable solution.

I've also got my van booked in with bodans for Feb and my current review is a complete echo of @Sjacko20. Nothing is too much trouble. They will spend all the time you need with you answer any question you may have. They know their products and are keen to try new things as well. Nothing is a problem. I've also dealt with 3 different people there. Unlike many places if dealt with (not just campers) you don't get the "They aren't here so will get back to you" speeches. They can all pick up where the other has left off which I found very good. Currently I can't fault them.

Great Photos on the Bodan web site, beautiful conversions.
We carry border collies, albeit more than you. I think those cages would be for a smaller dog(s). Plus ours is not a camper conversion.
I know that ours because they are such activity dogs, you maybe better of looking for access through the boot (to keep things cleaner); plus with a boot vent lock you can keep your dogs cool whilst parked up.
Ours is 2 on 2 cages 1200*1200 (removal dividers), which are 1100mm deep (going back into the van, but we can travel 8 collies . But for 3 dogs maybe you only need to go 600/700mm back into the van, and a LWB is 400mm longer so, it could all work.
And they pull straight ours on ours

IMG_2967.JPG

I'm currently in the process of designing dog creates for our new van. We have 3 large Siberian Huskies to transport, most of the stuff we do is based around them, so adequate camping conditions for them is the priority.

We are converting to a camper, but going the DIY route and doing it slow as we aren't too sure yet what we actually want or need.

I'll happily provide some images once complete in the next week or so, but the leading idea so far is to have three crates the width of the van. Approx 650mm high and 1000mm deep, with the crates starting around 200mm in to the sliding door area and going back around 1/3 way down the wheel arches (LWB). This positioning specifically maximises the room available to them (with the largest dog in centre crate with no wheel arch taking up space), and most importantly, keeps the dogs away from the rear of the van, and out of the immediate crash-impact zone. The space behind will be used as a garage area for carrying mountain bikes etc.

Once installed, I'll be figuring out a way to create an exapanding bed over the crates, using them as the support base. Eventually we're planning a pop-top conversion, but as I say, this is a step at a time project.

Love the idea Dave no more getting stuck in snowdrifts!!!! and I don't need to bother about 4motion.
Thanks for the ideas guys, I think I will probably go for something like Chris has, and use the spare crate as storage.

As promised, here's the raw but finished version. May not be of help to anyone now, but worth leaving as an idea for others in the future. crates.jpg

we use TransK9 crates which we're impressed with - and easily removable if we need the T6 back in "van" mode

Hi there, just taking delivery of new conversion T6.1 LWB. Has anyone got experience of taking their dog or dogs on camping trips with them in a converted van. We have a Lab and a GoldenDoodle. Thanks

Only the one dog and only had 1 trip. He slept on floor, we slept on rib and kids slept up top.
He was good, only came on bed in the morning when we were stirring and got down when we asked. We have swb and wouldn't fancy with more than 1 dog.

Bit tricky as each dog different, you know your own and what they'd be like.

Yeh I guess, Thinking about where to tie them to when driving etc.

I'm hopeing they will sleep in an awning. :)

Hi.. We found as long as you make yours comfortable there be fine..we took favourite bed and toys and even looked at taking the water they are used too..( waters are different) treat as normal.. Happy dogs :)

I did a set for my lads Movano, would have been better fabbed in metal but my Dad was a carpenter so I can only do wood.
3/4 exterior ply and 2x2 frames so very heavy. I'd suggest two bolts to each door rather than one central one, stops twisting.
This was taken 10 years ago, the Movano is gone so I've just bonfired the kennels after a decade of sterling service:

Img_2949.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, just taking delivery of new conversion T6.1 LWB. Has anyone got experience of taking their dog or dogs on camping trips with them in a converted van. We have a Lab and a GoldenDoodle. Thanks

The LWB makes all the difference with our dog, got room for her on the floor but usually now we spin the twin passenger seat round and cover the seat, our lab then sleeps on that chair out of the way.

Sleeping in the pop top is fine, come morning the dog is up and out of the seat waiting on her breakfast first thing. Sleeping downstairs in the RIB spaces becomes a bit more of a premium when the RIB is folded out but againa, if shes on the twin passenger seat then its no bother.

We're picking up our new pup next month so will need to get used to travelling with two dogs. Will be crate training the new pup so going to try getting her used to sleeping in that wee gap under front of the RIB seat when you fold it out into a bed. If that doesn't work though we still have plenty of floor space with it being a LWB for one of them while the other is on the seat.

Back