Dogbone lower T6.1 grille insert disaster - Advice?

secretK9agent

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Replaced the lower inserts with THQ gloss black replacements - disposed of originals

A month later the paint is cracking on replacement inserts - THQ sent new ones.

The replacements again have paint issues and multiple broken clips on opening from box. I'm done with replacements.

I'm now left with a bumper off, no inserts.

No bodyshops have availability till Dec locally.

Questions advice greatly appreciated:

If I purchase some VW original inserts, get painted etc, could they be fitted with the bumper in place? (Enabling me to at least replace the bumper for now?)

Are the clips on the VW original inserts as poor? Should I bond to bumper?

Two "clips" were plastic welded if I remember on the original setup, are these being glued an essential?

Thanks in advance!

1000130594.jpg

Last edited:
I know how you feel WRT the THQ ones.

I had one set with crap paint they replaced & the 2nd it’s cracking at the base of the vertical fins.

I ended up getting a 2nd hand set of VW OEM grilles/dogbone’ & had them painted. Off eBay BTW.

They have to be fitted from the back of the bumper so it has to come off. TBH the T6.1 bumper is a doddle to remove IME.

The clips on the OEM thin strips on the dogbone that you can get coloured strips for are very fragile, unless warmed up to unclip & even then can split. However the main ones on the 3 pieces of grille are pretty flexible (again if warmed with a hair dryer/heat gun on V low) IME.

Nothing should need plastic welding or glueing with Sikaflex etc unless it’s adding the cloned ABT type eyebrows which go over the front.

HTH

I had one set with crap paint they replaced & the 2nd it’s cracking at the base of the vertical fins.

I ended up getting a 2nd hand set of VW OEM grilles/dogbone’ & had them painted. Off eBay BTW.

They have to be fitted from the back of the bumper so it has to come off. TBH the T6.1 bumper is a doddle to remove IME.

The clips on the OEM thin strips on the dogbone that you can get coloured strips for are very fragile, unless warmed up to unclip & even then can split. However the main ones on the 3 pieces of grille are pretty flexible (again if warmed with a hair dryer/heat gun on V low) IME.

Nothing should need plastic welding or glueing with Sikaflex etc unless it’s adding the cloned ABT type eyebrows which go over the front.

HT

HTH
Thanks so much, I'll be getting some OEM and having painted!!

Did you have to plastic weld the two end pieces of the dog bone? The original were in the centre if I remember rightly. Had to cut it off to take off the originals?

If you watch the THQ video you’ll see you have to remove the factory plastic weld to remove the 2 ends BUT you don’t really need to replace/re-do it IME. Mine stay on fine, but I have ABT eyebrows over them

IMG_3864.jpeg

You can do it if you want pretty easily with a soldering iron or an expensive blob of Sikaflex etc if you wish

These are all OEM grilles painted by a local paint shop in the picture above.

The only thing Non OEM is the thin strips in the lower dogbone grille. They are replacements that were red. As they were flat not textured the paint shop used them repainted instead of having to flatten off the textured plastic OEM ones that have the fragile clips on.

Get some original ones painted. Mine are a year on from paint and still look great. Cost less than aftermarket ones all in. Got a set of unpainted ones if you need a set.

Get some original ones painted. Mine are a year on from paint and still look great. Cost less than aftermarket ones all in. Got a set of unpainted ones if you need a set.
I've literally just purchased some from eBay but thanks anyway. Definitely going this route now. Clearly a problem with the aftermarket ones

I've literally just purchased some from eBay but thanks anyway. Definitely going this route now. Clearly a problem with the aftermarket ones
No worries. Where are you based as I can recommend paint shop i used if midlands. They need to be prepared properly to get a good finish

No worries. Where are you based as I can recommend paint shop i used if midlands. They need to be prepared properly to get a good finish
Hi @borat , I'm picking up some delivery mile dog bones tomorrow for my 6.1, I'm West midlands based too, who would you recommend to get them gloss blacked once I've prepped them? Thank you kindly!

Back