Do you cook in your campervan?

Rustic12

T6 Pro
Hi all . Have a new van coming in January being converted in February . we hired a van in September for a few nights to see how we got on . Had the obligatory English breakfast in the mornings. When we took the van back it absolutely stank of stale cooking smells. Do most people do their cooking in an awning and just use the hob for kettle etc. What do you use to cook on in the awning if so ?
cheers

Cook outside with a 2 ring campingaz burner, cooking in the awning if raining is an option, wouldn’t cook in the van even if I had a hob for the reason you have discovered

Maybe it depends on ventilation in the van when cooking or the material the van is lined out with?
I’ve been cooking in mine for months on end twice a day without any issues, so far the only thing I’ve refused to cook in the van is mackerel. I always have a lid on the pan and I think that helps alot.

We heat up pre-prepared food, but never cook in the van.
A simple gas burner does the job in the awning.

Pete

I've cooked curries inside the van and never had a problem, but ventilation is important... in most cases i cook with the side slider open or window open..

If its raining I also have the option of cooking under the tailgate.

If you have a pop top raised with a vent open it’s the best way to ventilate as the steam rises.
Burning LPG produces a significant amount of moisture and that in itself will allow cooking smells to permeate the van lining, one of a few reasons I chose a Wallas Diesel hob.

I removed the grill in my t6. I open the window behind the cooker and don't fry in an open pan. Ridge Monkey is the best option

When the weather's great we tend to cook on a cadac outside as it's just nicer to be outside. However, we cook a lot on the gas hob in the van too and we just never have a problem with cooking smells. I don't know whether the difference with others reporting issues is just ventilation or fabric type or something else but it's just a non-issue for us. We would almost always have the pop top up and as much ventilation as the weather will allow, maybe that makes a difference?

Hi all . Have a new van coming in January being converted in February . we hired a van in September for a few nights to see how we got on . Had the obligatory English breakfast in the mornings. When we took the van back it absolutely stank of stale cooking smells. Do most people do their cooking in an awning and just use the hob for kettle etc. What do you use to cook on in the awning if so ?
cheers
If on EHU we use a Tango Sizzle Induction Hob, normally in the awning....safe, simple and clean. Very compact to store. We have the single version but there is also a Double option. Bigger and more cooking options are available on the Tefal induction hob but so far the Sizzle has proved absolutely fine.

I always cook in the van but when the hob is on I open the side window directly behind it. Pop top is always up when cooking too. Slider open if weather allows or awning up. Never had an issue with smells staying apart from maybe bacon

Hi all,

I've had a unconverted Mazda Bongo in the past and have been looking to get a T6 day van for a while (no rush). This will be my only vehicle. However, my GF likes the idea of a fully converted camper as she likes the idea of cooking in the van.

My gut feel is that most don't cook in their van, but is this the case? Appreciate some responses from you guys and gals.

Many thanks

Hey,

We cook in ours, pancakes, bacon sarnies, burritos. I know some will recoil in horror, but my opinion is the van is for using, for living in, for having adventures. Don’t get me wrong, if the weather is good, we’re using a bbq outside but we just open the door and a window if we’re cooking inside and give the van a good cleaning when we get home.

Back