Do these tyres look right on the wheels ?

And to be fair, the original question was “do the tyres look right on the rims”, which is a resounding no.

All for a stretched tyre on the right car and wheel, but this isn’t stretched and just doesn’t fit that wheel in particular.

If the manufacturer and supplier is happy it’s safe, then great, but looks wise it’s not great and will only get a battering from kerbs - hence comments around 260+ tyre being suggested.

It was the "trading standards" "name and shame" "the tyre fitter is incompetant" comments that are disgraceful, and completely out of order given they tyres are technically ok.

Perhaps folk should take a lesson to consult the tyre manufacturer websites, and look at the tyre specs in detail. Its not complicated stuff.

For info, its also typically possible to get approval to fit tyres to a half inch wider rim, i have letters from both falken and toyo to fit 215 tyres to 9x16 rims for example, when the approved max is 8.5"
Was not disrespectful as we could only go on the shock horror of the pictures and lack of knowledge is why you corrected us and @lenlec sadly wouldn't of known what he would get when buying these wheels without tyres on

the seller and the fitter could of explained better why they look like they do....

maybe a very expensive error for not doing the homework before buying and a warning to us ...

hang him anyway we all love a good hanging .......... im sure he's a witch hahahaha

There must be other people running Supermetal Cell wheels could post up a photo of how their tyres sit as a comparison. They may be within tolerance spec wise, but they dont look seated properly in that photo.

It was the "trading standards" "name and shame" "the tyre fitter is incompetant" comments that are disgraceful, and completely out of order given they tyres are technically ok.

Perhaps folk should take a lesson to consult the tyre manufacturer websites, and look at the tyre specs in detail. Its not complicated stuff.

For info, its also typically possible to get approval to fit tyres to a half inch wider rim, i have letters from both falken and toyo to fit 215 tyres to 9x16 rims for example, when the approved max is 8.5"
If you think the tyres in the original post look OK that's up to you, you are clearly in the minority. Just because something is technically OK that doesn't make it a good idea.

Maybe I’m old skool (or just old) but I’d rather look at the physical item rather than a spec sheet or screen and in my experience if it don’t look right generally speaking it aint right!!!
Old skool engineering approach still works!!!

There are so many “old codgers” on here popping up with their real world experience - I would so love to employ them on some of the projects I work on. Give me an old hairy-arsed “that won’t work” over some snowflake’s “dis ez awesome” any day!

Plenty of pictures in here, all of which is what you’d expect

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/supermetal-cell-20”-wheels.26053/
But..but…….but…….why can’t I seen an exposed rim to be scuffed?!!!!

(Nope, not one of my double entendres, and I know where to get a scuffed rim!)

I don’t think a 245 is out the realms of being ok on a 9" rim. All tyres are not equal and some come up narrower than than others when fitted even in the same stated width.

I had some 275 nankangs, which I believe these are (and I don't think vanstyle fit), fitted to a 10.5" rear and they looked quite quite stretched. Currently running a 265 in a different brand on a 10.5" rear and the stretch looks less. Sidewall depth/aspect ratio also plays a part.

I think its probaly the angle of the photos in the op that make it look really bad, in the pics when they were fitted they look OK to me. If you're not used to a bit of stretch on a tyre it can look bad from certain angles.

Screenshot_20220414-230358_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20220414-230312_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20220414-230243_Samsung Internet.jpg

What did Steve @CRS Performance say when he fitted the wheels?

For what’s it worth you go to any modified car show you will see tyres and wheels like this all over the shows from cars to vans. It’s the show look and if that is what someone wants it’s their choice.

I agree it’s doesn’t look right and certainly isn’t for everyone but it’s a personal preference.

If you look across a cross section of tyre sites they all will state these tyres will fit a 9”wheel although you run the risk of kerbing your wheels unless you are super careful.

This sort of thread will always get mixed thoughts but that’s just what they, a personal opinion.

One of the vans on Bognors pictures shows them fitted with 235/40R20 Good Year’s and the tyres cover the rim edge on them.

BE8BFFB6-F2FB-4177-B13C-63923CE469B9.png

58ECFE80-5A0A-46ED-B64A-03FFBF123F1C.png

Back