Do Solar panels make much of a difference ?

Matrob93

Looking to install a solar panel and wondered if it actually makes any difference. I’ve seen many conflicting reviews about the up front cost and the actual energy it generates.

Or would a portable removal solar panel before beneficial.

any advise would help.

They definitely make more difference than no solar panel

It depends on how you are going to use your van - I am assuming it will be used for camping. Solar will generally not be any advantage if you are going to campsites and using electric hook-up all the time and whilst you are travelling the leisure battery is charged from the engine.

Solar comes into it's own when you want to use Aires, wild camp, not pay the campsite the extra money for electric hook-up, keep your leisure battery topped up when the van is not in use, etc.

Placing the panel on the roof keeps it out of way and, most likely, the panel will be larger than a freestanding panel.

Is it cost efficient on a £ per KWh? - probably not. But it gives you freedom and power when you are off grid.

When we first had our camper we started with no solar, then went to a portable unit and now a panel on the roof. There is no way I would go back but we do most of our camping in the continent in Aires and wild camping spots. And it is sunny in Spain and Portugal!

I wouldn’t be without solar, once the van is loaded with fuel, food and water we can be self sufficient for a week or more, water being the limiting factor.
All depends if you are a fan of campsites, I’m not, always feels like staying in someones garden.

The biggest advantage is freedom....but the down side is initial cost ..once you’ve got your leisure system setup..which we did first we looked at adding solar...did all the power consumption requirements and when for 2 x 150w ..solar only works if you take out less than you put in over a good sunny day ..then it’s where you fit them...we are just a simple van with a bed..so the panels lay on the mattress in transit and where then setup on stands on location ( for me easier to move the panels than the van ) but I’ve just got a small trailer so will mount them on this..along with the bikes and new thule awning and lots more storage space.. But first work out your power consumption and that then gives you an idea what panel size you need ..which could be one big or smaller units ..if you fit them on a roof it needs to be elevated towards the sun...but a good solar panel may last up to 25 years ..so spend your money wisely :)

Last edited:
Solar doesnt have to be expensive - you can DIY install a 100w panel with a controller for £100 or so.
You dont have to go Photonic Universe and Victron. It can be done on a budget.
Cheers
Phil

Thinking of this for new conversion. Someone somewhere (lots of info around) has suggested new alternators on euro 6 won’t charge the leisure battery like they once would, any views?

Thinking of this for new conversion. Someone somewhere (lots of info around) has suggested new alternators on euro 6 won’t charge the leisure battery like they once would, any views?

Last edited:
Love my solar. I use mobile panels - the suitcase type - and its 1 of the best purchases I have made. Gives you freedom to camp where you like and not be reliant on EHU.
Hi Lord
Any chance of a photo or link to that? Sounds great..

I got solar in October (?) so I haven't seen the full benefit from the 160w panel now on the roof. I've seen enough to say that in winter it will provide some help but wouldn't keep up with my power usage (fridge, lights, heater, water pump, 12v, usb's), in summer I'd expect to be fully self sufficient (taking into account reduced power requirements as well).
I don't do campsites so have only 'hooked up' onto shore power once or twice in the last 4 years, solar power is a no brainer if camping 'off grid'.
Cost wise - is it worth it? Assuming I had kept my car it will take me over 10 years to break even on hotel bills with my van at 40 nights/year. I didn't buy it for that :)

I got solar in October (?) so I haven't seen the full benefit from the 160w panel now on the roof. I've seen enough to say that in winter it will provide some help but wouldn't keep up with my power usage (fridge, lights, heater, water pump, 12v, usb's), in summer I'd expect to be fully self sufficient (taking into account reduced power requirements as well).
I don't do campsites so have only 'hooked up' onto shore power once or twice in the last 4 years, solar power is a no brainer if camping 'off grid'.
Cost wise - is it worth it? Assuming I had kept my car it will take me over 10 years to break even on hotel bills with my van at 40 nights/year. I didn't buy it for that :)
IMO spot on, exactly what @KR. said.

Looking to install a solar panel and wondered if it actually makes any difference. I’ve seen many conflicting reviews about the up front cost and the actual energy it generates.

Or would a portable removal solar panel before beneficial.

any advise would help.
Yes they are a great addition. Heres a screen shot of one running now in our workshop, overcast outside but still providing charge. 2nd battery not connected yet.
Cheers
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Screenshot_20210218-125844.png

Back