Do I have the factory Uprated Alternator Battery combo?

Mupp3tt

T6 Pro
Hi Guys,
I have a dead Battery, and on investigation, it is a 68kWh battery.
I Had a larger alternator installed from factory when the split charge and leisure battery was installed.
And I had thought the main battery should have been larger from the offset?
Any help @Dellmassive, I know your the king of all electrics...

Also what size of battery can you fit under the hood as it looks as though it is dead as a dodo, Will only charge to 6V (auto select charger) it only had 4V left before the attempt to charge.

And to complicate matters the AA guy crossed the poles on the battery when trying to jump start it. positive on negative and negative to van body.. Will this have killed the shunt?? (the block on the negative lead) and where do I get one.

Guy was very apologetic, had just done a killer shift, but is calling me today to come back after dropping me at home.

you haven't said what van spec?

The standard alternator is 140A, on startlines

and the uprated one is 180A on highlines (the most likley one is you had factory leisure battery)

and there is even a 250A one now on the T6.1 crew van !

Battery wise . . .

its a 70Ah (420A) AGM across the board. factory fitted.

there was a time when MOL batterieris were being fitted which had issues, and were being replaced with VARTA batteries.

1599206434833.png

reverse jumping the van can be very bad.

it can burn out the master fuses, burn out the alternator regulator, kill ECU`s, catch fire etc etc...

the only way you are going to know is fit a new charged battery very carefully and meter the current flow from the battery to determine if its excessive or normal.

excessive indicating a possible fault some where.

hopefully the mistake was realised quick enough and no damage has occurred.

regards to the current shunt on the battery neg pole, its designed for current flow either direction so hopeful will be ok. . . . but again proceed with caution.

as for the replacement battery . . . .

here is a example from ECP: 80A VARTA

1599207303645.png

more info:

chargers:

body earths:

jump starters:

battery monitoring:

other:

post some pics of your setup, battery, leisure battery etc etc . .

@Dellmassive Sorry van Spec. 66plate 204 PS Highline T32, ordered with unrated alternator, what the spec actually is I'm not sure right now. Standard Leisure battery upgrade on ordering the van.

The battery was dead as a DODO, So No jump was possible, couldn't get anything on the dash at all. Max Voltage was 6V from the battery.
20200904_101912.jpg
Battery in the van is a 68Ah 380A DIn VARTA AGM.

ok, start with a new AGM battery and go from there . . .

66plate so that battery has had 4years, plus they loose capacity massively if run flat.

if its 6v its shot to bits and most likely beyond repair

@Dellmassive I've got an open safari page for this...
Am I right in saying you recommended this as likely being the largest engine battery you can fit in a T6?
I've saved it because mine is slowly on its way out, it being 5 years old and having been flattened a few times.

@Dellmassive I've got an open safari page for this...
Am I right in saying you recommended this as likely being the largest engine battery you can fit in a T6?
I've saved it because mine is slowly on its way out, it being 5 years old and having been flattened a few times.
Found it now- it was the @Grim Reaper

Bosch S5 A13 95Ah battery is the biggest that will fit, it will need recoding to make best use of it though
View attachment 47343
It's a bit of a squeeze but the battery tray is big enough and the existing bolt down bracket at the front sits in the centre indent in the battery moulding so it's not going anywhere.

that Bosch is not for stop start as above.

you NEED AGM battery,

yes they are more expensive . . . . . but get a good one and keep it charged and it will hopefully last for 5years.

just dont run them flat or you will kill them....

1599227771073.png

As per my quoted post, the Bosch S5 A13 95Ah is an AGM and the biggest that will fit in the battery tray without modifications. I needed to remove the plastic wall between battery area and engine in order to slide it into place.
BigBattery.jpg

That's the same 019 size battery as the Bosch, however Varta only has a 4 year warranty whereas the Bosch has 5

Reactions: mmi
@Grim Reaper , no not yet, I need to get it to a garage to do that this week. First thing was to get it mobile. Unless you know someone in the edinburgh m8 area that wants to help me out!

I don't, there used to be a map that would show VCDS users but it was removed. Wonder how much a garage will charge for coding it in?

@Grim Reaper , no not yet, I need to get it to a garage to do that this week. First thing was to get it mobile. Unless you know someone in the edinburgh m8 area that wants to help me out!
Might be worth a general shout out on the forum to see if there's someone local who can help for a few beer tokens.

Back