Do Coilovers bottom out?

Andyf

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi,

Obviously B14,s are a harder ride and control the roll of the van, the dual shock system Chilli sell are a more comfortable ride still whilst controlling the handling of the van
My question for owners of Coilovers is do yours bottom out or bang on a decent size bump or pothole

The ones I have fitted are cheap and nasty ones which feel like they bottom out or there isn’t any more spring left to compress there for banging from time to time

Thanks
Andy

Hi,

Obviously B14,s are a harder ride and control the roll of the van, the dual shock system Chilli sell are a more comfortable ride still whilst controlling the handling of the van
My question for owners of Coilovers is do yours bottom out or bang on a decent size bump or pothole

The ones I have fitted are cheap and nasty ones which feel like they bottom out or there isn’t any more spring left to compress there for banging from time to time

Thanks
Andy
I've got some H&R fitted by Steve at @crs and had them for around 2k miles and I can say I've not had any bottom outs, 1000 times better than the standard suspension.

Thanks for that
Anybody for b14,s or even ST,s as a slightly cheaper option

Andy

B14 is the same price as the H&R kit ( before all the discounting ) B14 bottoms out sooner than a Coil over because its a modified Sport shock ( Hybrid sleeve over ) so the shock length is too long for the bigger drops . The picture is a direct comparison with H&R and B 14 shafts . Also the B14 uses a standard bump stop , too long also < the H&R comes with a shorter performance part included in the kit .

Shock shaft lengths.JPG

I take the H and R kit is similar to the Chilli kit but a different spring

thanks

I take the H and R kit is similar to the Chilli kit but a different spring

thanks
The H&R kit is nothing like the Chillijam kit , The Chillijam kit is also a Hybrid Sleeve over not a proper coilover kit although it will be more comfortable than the B 14 or new comfort B 14 . The comparison pictures are below

Chillijam kit.JPG

H&R coilover.JPG

Jumping in on this with much interest.

Picked up a T6 last week, standard alloys and suspension. Much as I love it, going around corners is like being in a bloody boat. Previously had a T5.1, which was on Sportline Springs, with 18" Sportline alloys. Never had an issue with the ride, and the height was fine. Aiming to get the new van lowered and 18" / 19" on it, but still want to retain some comfort as it'll be a daily driver as well as, eventually, a 'camper'.

Have been reading through the different posts and while someone local recommended B14s, I'm put off by the feedback here and there appear to be a lot of options to achieve what I think I want.

Are both kits not the same Komi shocker ?
No the H&R kit uses a top adjustable sport shock ( adjustable in situ ) and the chillijam kit uses a modified KONI heavy track shock ( which some refer to as Special ) these have to be removed from the car to be adjusted . The type of technology in side both is obviously KONI but its un likely that the damping forces are the same in each because the springs are different in each application . .

Im on b14's that i fitted myself and fine fettled to get her how i wanted...
i guess they could get to the near maximum of their travel but should firm up to avoid that... certainly shouldnt bang as you describe!?
i run 275 40 20's and im kinda up to the top on the front threads... looks the part...but not silly low..
the coooooomfiest bloody van i have ever been in... i catch the arch liner once in a blue moon... harsh dip in road etc perhaps..
on about maybe going 265/40/20 on next tyres just to assist...
used to have just h@r springs on the t5 i had and it was ok but nothing like now..

love mine... love the ride... may even put the roll bars on at some stage.. (when i run out if crap to do lol)

van.jpg

Im on b14's that i fitted myself and fine fettled to get her how i wanted...
i guess they could get to the near maximum of their travel but should firm up to avoid that... certainly shouldnt bang as you describe!?
i run 275 40 20's and im kinda up to the top on the front threads... looks the part...but not silly low..
the coooooomfiest bloody van i have ever been in... i catch the arch liner once in a blue moon... harsh dip in road etc perhaps..
on about maybe going 265/40/20 on next tyres just to assist...
used to have just h@r springs on the t5 i had and it was ok but nothing like now..

love mine... love the ride... may even put the roll bars on at some stage.. (when i run out if crap to do lol)

View attachment 81109
That's nice, and pretty much what I'm hoping to get to in terms of how it sits. Key priority is to get rid on the roll, but also needs to look good ;). I'm likely to go with 18" / 19" rather than 20", how much is that lowered?

ta and ....erm....... just enough? tehe..

i think bilstein state between 40 and 70mm...now i cant go up any more on the threads at front... but it looks lower than 40..i'd guess 50mm ish? (you could go up more with another thread collar i guess)
i was flukey with rear setup fronts i just kept going..."front needs to go up"... and i'd faff for ten mins and do few turns (plus im anul so had digi vernier off datum points on shocker) and eventually got correct...you watch once all the gear goes in back i'll be sorting the rears...
if you fit them all day you know exactly how many threads etc...

i cant fault them at all... get a mate and fit them yourself..afternoons job with a few brews and bacon butties...

That’s a bold statement
Shows dearer isn’t always the best
Dearer doesnt mean anything actually , The way prices are at the moment you cant be sure what you are getting , always insist on a TUV certificate , I know it isnt a UK recognised certification but that makes UK odd not everyone else , IN europe you wont be allowed on the streets with s supension kit NOT approved

Back