DMF replacement quote seems really high

LambethBoy

204 DSG 4Motion
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have this noise/rattle when revving to 2500 from cold. Have been told i need a replacement DMF, not 100 percent sure tbh.
It goes away when warm and i have been driving it for 1-2hrs straight with work with no issues.
Only thing concerning me is i have a road trip to the south of France In coupe of weeks so van will be going flat out for at least 10-12 hours.
And this quote seems a bit excessive with all original parts (see pdf).
56K on the clock, 4Motion, DSG.
Recommendations for anyone in the South London / Surrey area who might be able to give a better price?

Attachments

• DMF.pdf
    257.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I don’t see clutch and slave cylinder on the parts list, I know it’s low milage but the slave cylinders seem to fail prematurely and the clutch maybe half way through it’s service life. It’s the same amount of labour and huge additional cost if you need to pull it all apart again.
I’d avoid mentioning the need to use on a trip in 2 weeks time as it might increase the price.

Definitely change the slave whilst the box is out, would be crazy not too given their early fail rate.

Price does seem a little steep, the flywheel cost is a bit High.. Are they using genuine parts through a dealer or Tps?

Labour is probably about right, time wise as the DSG box with a transfer box makes it a bit more of a pig of a job.

Perhaps not comparable but I paid £1350 last year for a DMF, clutch and slave cylinder replacement, but it was on a 6speed manual. That quote does look steep to my untrained eye.

Definitely change the slave whilst the box is out, would be crazy not too given their early fail rate.

Price does seem a little steep, the flywheel cost is a bit High.. Are they using genuine parts through a dealer or Tps?

Labour is probably about right, time wise as the DSG box with a transfer box makes it a bit more of a pig of a job.
Genuine part’s buddy. Does the 7speed auto have a slave?

That does not sound like a DMF failure. More like poor ignition. Worn DMFs don't usually make noises which go away when they are warm and they don't sound like that. This sounds like diesel knock. Injectors can and do cause this, then clear up as they heat up. Mr mmi on here is a Dr diesel in that department and may be able to guide on what to measure using VCDS.

That does not sound like a DMF failure. More like poor ignition. Worn DMFs don't usually make noises which go away when they are warm and they don't sound like that. This sounds like diesel knock. Injectors can and do cause this, then clear up as they heat up. Mr mmi on here is a Dr diesel in that department and may be able to guide on what to measure using VCDS.
I might have to take that back. I've experienced two cars with DMF failures and neither sounded like that. They just had a heavy shake and wobble. I have just seen a video on utube which sounds very similar to yours. Anyone else heard that before?

I might have to take that back. I've experienced two cars with DMF failures and neither sounded like that. They just had a heavy shake and wobble. I have just seen a video on utube which sounds very similar to yours. Anyone else heard that when the knocking sound occurs there is a heavy shake on the engine
When the noise occurs, there is a heavy shake on the engine. So could well be DMF

When the noise occurs, there is a heavy shake on the engine. So could well be DMF
I have to agree then. VW Bicester quoted me £750 to remove and refit the DSG with oil refill. Crank seal and flywheel bolts would be extra. I'm guessing a new DMF fitted would be around £800? I would therefore guess/expect £1600 all in?

Your garage seems to be quite expensive.

I have to agree then. VW Bicester quoted me £750 to remove and refit the DSG with oil refill. Crank seal and flywheel bolts would be extra. I'm guessing a new DMF fitted would be around £800? I would therefore guess/expect £1600 all in?

Your garage seems to be quite expensive.
I just checked on Autodoc and it turns out the DMF for a DSG is far cheaper than a DMF for a manual gearbox at £375 to £608. (Manual clutch types are £526 to £1147). That should put a realistic price of around £1200 to £1400 with labour?

Back