DIY Kombi bed platform/drawer

Hi all, been a member on here a while and owner of my 6.1 for almost a year now and having seen loads on here that has and will help me I thought I’d contribute and post this in case it comes in handy for anyone. Finally finished my kombi bed platform with drawer (which I’ll eventually turn into a kitchen system with sink and hob etc). Having seen a couple of DIY efforts on here and some professional options I decided to give it a go myself despite not having much experience partly to save a bit of money but also because I wanted it to be custom to our needs (I use the van as a daily but will start to camp more in the future). This works for us perfectly and although you can tell it isn’t a pro job, I’m very happy with it and enjoyed the process. Be happy to give more details for anyone out there wanting to do a similar type of thing. Next job for me will be deadening, insulation, carpet and probably a sink system in the back top of the drawer with a hose option to wash feet/dog. Excuse the dirty van and the lazy mut!

8CB1A73E-1D1A-49F9-AFDC-0925CC898CCB.jpeg

563A5666-0A88-49D4-9974-227325BCEF2A.jpeg

F39B74F8-1B79-4E03-995C-91F523652742.jpeg

90E9AE3A-3FB3-4450-9AD5-5F4AC40005A9.jpeg

Hi Meatballs,
Thanks for posting your kombi bench/bed setup. This is exactly what I am looking for to copy for my own diy bench/bed. As I am a complete amateur, do you have any blueprint drawing with ply cut sizes and a web link for the heavy duty runners you have used for the draw.
Cheers James

Last edited:
Hi all, been a member on here a while and owner of my 6.1 for almost a year now and having seen loads on here that has and will help me I thought I’d contribute and post this in case it comes in handy for anyone. Finally finished my kombi bed platform with drawer (which I’ll eventually turn into a kitchen system with sink and hob etc). Having seen a couple of DIY efforts on here and some professional options I decided to give it a go myself despite not having much experience partly to save a bit of money but also because I wanted it to be custom to our needs (I use the van as a daily but will start to camp more in the future). This works for us perfectly and although you can tell it isn’t a pro job, I’m very happy with it and enjoyed the process. Be happy to give more details for anyone out there wanting to do a similar type of thing. Next job for me will be deadening, insulation, carpet and probably a sink system in the back top of the drawer with a hose option to wash feet/dog. Excuse the dirty van and the lazy mut!

View attachment 188872

View attachment 188873

View attachment 188874

View attachment 188875
Looks great
Did you make a frame then clad with ply or is it just made from ply ?
If so what did you use
Panch

Back