Kombi Bed/storage self build

erniegrover

VIP Member
Hi there, I’m new to the forum and I thought I’d post about my project. I bought a T32 kombi recently which had been a builders van and so I’ve embarked on turning into to a day van.
Started off with soundproofing & insulation and carpet lining which went pretty well. Upgraded the speakers and installed a reversing camera and put some additional 12v sockets in the back. Decided against a split charge 12v leisure battery and bought a VITOMAN jump portable battery instead it gives a few more options outside of the van.
I wanted a drawer and bed system too. Researched various options and although very clever & awesome looking (Ply Guys, Ovano etc) too pricey for my budget.
I like my DIY so decided to design & build my own.
So I decided to draw out my plans and share on here with a few photos in case it helps anyone out.
Really happy with the end result - total cost about £300 I reckon. All the details are on the plans/photos.
Shout if you have any questions.

IMG_0034.jpeg

IMG_0035.jpeg

IMG_0036.jpeg

IMG_0037.jpeg

IMG_0039.jpeg

IMG_0040.jpeg

IMG_0041.jpeg

IMG_0042.jpeg

IMG_0043.jpeg

IMG_0047.jpeg

IMG_0045.jpeg

IMG_0044.jpeg

Attachments

• kombi drawer plans.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 95
Looks great. Could sell them for £500+ on here.
Thanks, I’m pleased with the result, took a bit of tweaking to get perfect, but now I know the awkward parts!
It was a lot of work and it wasn’t a quick job, so not sure I’m going start doing them for a living just yet! I’ll see how bored I get with the day job!

• Haha
Reactions: JDC
Nice work! I’ve been looking for a sliding tray without a bed, so as to be relatively easily removable and, as I’ve got seat mounts for row 3, didn’t want to rout a hole in the bottom of an Ovano/Slidepod/Ply Guys unit to make one fit.

I’ll be getting some ply soon..!

Nice work! I’ve been looking for a sliding tray without a bed, so as to be relatively easily removable and, as I’ve got seat mounts for row 3, didn’t want to rout a hole in the bottom of an Ovano/Slidepod/Ply Guys unit to make one fit.

I’ll be getting some ply soon..!
Dead easy to modify to any dimensions you want. Check out the YouTube videos by “GVM corner” they are amazing and where I got the idea of the folding bed configuration

Looks fantastic @erniegrover , well done. Where did you source the drawer runners please?
Good old Amazon. I went with these ones:

AOLISHENG Heavy Duty Drawer Runners with Lock 1300mm Full Extension Load Capacity 150 Kg Ball Bearing Long Industrial Locking Drawer Slides Side Mount 1 Pair (with Lock, 52 inch (1300mm)) https://amzn.eu/d/i1F7Xfm

For expensive but they are really strong and very well made. They effectively double the build cost, but are clearly essential.
I stood in the fully extended drawer as a test and it didn’t budge.

What size ply did you use for the frame??
All 18mm thickness. I don’t think 12mm would be strong enough for the bed without it flexing and I wanted a drawer that can take a big load. If you can source 15mm I reckon that would be a perfect balance between strength/weight but I couldn’t find any, not sure it’s available.
End result is quite heavy, my estimate is 63kg (the runners add quite a bit of weight too), but it is a big build.

Back