Discover Media Touchscreen Fault

BlueSchmoo

Hi,

New member here! My 2016 Transporter Kombi has an issue with it's entertainment system and I am not sure how to fix it. I'd be grateful if someone could advise.

All of a sudden the entertainment system seems to hang when I change radio channels, either via the console or the stick on the steering column. It sometimes hangs for several seconds. While it hangs the screen is not responsive.

Also, I am not sure if it is related (as it started happening around about the same time), when I reverse, the reversing camera will switch from the view of the camera to the radio display after a couple of seconds. Not handy while reversing!

Love my 1st Kombi!

I think to help with your query, Make/model of head unit may help. Is reverse camera factory or aftermarket? If not factory state make and model.
Sorry I cant help you Bud.

Have you tried a soft reboot? (Hold the power button in until it restarts)

Here is a picture of the unit. Everything on the van was on it from new in the dealership. The entertainment system just freezes, can't change radio channel, use sat navigation, answer phone calls. I tried the soft reboot but no joy. Maybe it needs software upgrading or something?

20210331_180815.jpg

Remove SD card and see if that makes any difference.

Reactions: mmi
So a quick update, I spoke to VW yesterday and they said it's a digital sensor that's gone and I need a whole new infotainment system. They said £3000. Wtf?

So a quick update, I spoke to VW yesterday and they said it's a digital sensor that's gone and I need a whole new infotainment system. They said £3000. Wtf?
Really feel your pain.....but always a silver lining...ditch the bitch and go aftermarket...when I got my Kenwood headunit it was £1k...so your saving £2k ...if you want some advice try @Absolut5 ............ Web link. :)

The right hand side of my touch screen no longer works on my Nov 2016 Generation 6 Caravelle. Also radio stations jumping about. Can anyone help?

try a reset. . .

press and hold the volume/power knob untill it restarts and you see the boot logo (about 30sec)

Dodgy screens are becoming very common on these early headunits, normally comes as ghost touch where the radio senses constant touchs on the screen pretty much rendering it unusable, unfortunately it generally gets worse and worse

There are people who do replacement screens and there are also people that do replacement units (sometimes needs more than a replacement screen to get it working again)

the only other suggestion i would have is to try a full power reset . .

but @Pauly may be onto something . . . as in a hardware fault.

Why are these units failing on a vehicle that is only four years old. Shouldn't VW be looking at replacing these at a nominal charge?

VW will replace it but it will cost a four figure sum !
I personally think theres a design fault/hardware issue with at least the early version because theres just too many failing now

VW will replace it but it will cost a four figure sum !
I personally think theres a design fault/hardware issue with at least the early version because theres just too many failing now

that will probably lead to a health 3rd party repair market.?

its probably just some dry solder joints fractured over time?

or simple component failure.

looks common . .

these guys repair it?

Satnav Systems (UK) Ltd​

Unit G Argent Court, Hook Rise
South Surbiton KT6 7NL

Hours of Business​

Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 6pm

FOC quote . .

remove and send in service too . .

Thanks for your reply Pauly.

I cannot help feeling you are right it is a problem of the head unit.

Thank you Dellmassive on all your suggestions such as the capacitive discharge option.

However, I cannot see how that will help with the touchscreen which is only partly inoperable. Surely it would all work or not work. Perhaps there is a connector behind the head unit that is only partly home?

With regard to your suggestion to get in touch with Satnav Systems.

Do you have any details on how to remove the head unit in simple stages?

Do you have any details on how to remove the head unit in simple stages?
Perhaps this helps:

Back