Discover Media Headunit not working!! Even after soft reset

Hi Guys, Was driving yesterday and my Discover Media head unit went blank, then the Welcome to Volkswagen display came up but now the unit will not boot up at all, just gets to the welcome screen then goes blank. The Van is a 2018 factory kombi. So now can’t even use the reverse camera either. Help!! Is this fixable or is this a replacement unit? I’ve tried the reset but does nothing.
Any Suggestions or help gratefully appreciated.

Try this....

Our 2017 unit started doing similar things recently. It’s still under extended warranty so I took it back to the dealer. They said they’d seen similar problems with other units & a software update might help. It’s been ok since the update. It’s been ok for 5 years and suddenly started acting up, I’m not sure why a software update would cure it, but hey ho.

I presume the full ECU reset didn't work Andy?
I have just tried this now and hasn’t worked. Thanks for the advise so far.

Try this....

Thanks Dellmassive, tried but no change.

Our 2017 unit started doing similar things recently. It’s still under extended warranty so I took it back to the dealer. They said they’d seen similar problems with other units & a software update might help. It’s been ok since the update. It’s been ok for 5 years and suddenly started acting up, I’m not sure why a software update would cure it, but hey ho.
Thanks for your reply. I’m only just (2nd April) out of extended warranty, typical!! I’ll try my local VW commercial tomorrow and book it in. Hope a software update will sort it?

Thanks for your reply. I’m only just (2nd April) out of extended warranty, typical!! I’ll try my local VW commercial tomorrow and book it in. Hope a software update will sort it?
Check on the warranty. Our should’ve run out beginning of March. I took mine in & was informed by the service staff that VW had extended all extended warranties by 3 months because of Covid (at least something good came out of it) so my warranty now expires in June.

Check on the warranty. Our should’ve run out beginning of March. I took mine in & was informed by the service staff that VW had extended all extended warranties by 3 months because of Covid (at least something good came out of it) so my warranty now expires in June.
Thanks for the info. I’ll ask the question with regards to the warranty tomorrow then.

Mine’s going in on Tuesday for a new head unit under warranty. They had it last week & pronounced it dead. If it wasn’t for the 3 month Covid extension on the warranty I’d be screwed.

Mine’s going in on Tuesday for a new head unit under warranty. They had it last week & pronounced it dead. If it wasn’t for the 3 month Covid extension on the warranty I’d be screwed.
Lucky for you then, unfortunately, mine's well out of warranty. Looking for a firmware update and try that option first.

Did you get this fixed, my 2017 is similar, just acting up and freezing here and there?
No luck through the dealer, basically I was out of warranty & the replacement unit was £1800 plus VAT, which wasn't an option for me...
Long story, but I sent my old unit to Ingleby Electronics (Ian Dorrington @Ianidor ) who diagnosed the CPU was faulty and unstable so couldn't be fixed. He sourced me a complete replacement unit for less than half the price from VW with a 12 month guarantee. 100% recommend speaking with Ian as he is really really helpful and will be able to resolve the issue you have one way or another.

Back