Discover Media and App-Connect?

Graham Brand

Has anybody had experience when trying to activate App Connect ,Car Play or Voice control in the discover media module.

It refers me to the dealer for an activation code.

On Contacting the dealer they didn't seem to understand what I was asking for and was not forthcoming with any information/codes.

Any ideas anybody please?

I'm no help, but i'll watch what happens with this as i've got mine to sort out at some point when i get a minute :(

As much as i no @Graham Brand is that these are paid for extras , so they needed to be specced when the van was ordered (i did) you may be able to get the dealer to activate them at a cost. Don't know why they had no answers for you :unsure:

Thanks

I'll contact another dealer to see if I can any more info.

I wonder whether anybody had managed to get the codes ,paid or not,to activate these services after the vehicle was delivered.

Plus the cost and are they worth it.

Seems a little excesssive to charge for voice control ifs it's only a password.

It's got me intrigued now to see what mine needs if anything to work, i paid for App connect but i'm not sure on the others.

Thanks Pauly

I'll try the dealer again.

Called one this morning but drew a blank....again
You would have thought it was straightforward

Don't know if this helps, I posted it up a couple of months ago, there is a thread in the ICE section.

Hi I've got App connect and CarNet on mine, and I have got both working.
Have you got CarNet on yours?
For App-Conect:
I use an iPhone 6S for my App connect - Apple Carplay. Are you sure your Phone and Operating system support App Connect? Have you got a recent update on its Operating System?
You need to connect your phone through its data cable through the USB in the van nearest to the ICE system in the dash.
AppConnect does not work through Bluetooth
Is your cable a high quality or OEM phone data cable?
It should just be plug and play, you shouldn't need to register:)
For VW CarNet: (You do need to register for this, it's free from VW for the first 3 years)
To get CarNet working you need to register your VIN Number on the VW Carnet site, I have a VW CarNet App on my phone( from your app store), which I have registered.
Mine would not connect through my phone, I am not sure if it was an IPhone thing or a Vodafone thing.
To get it working I purchased a VW CarStick from Amazon (not cheap around £85), and also a "3" data only sim card £30 for 16gb/1 year of data.
I can also set up the van as a Hotspot and connect other devices through it, it works really well, as a hotspot, but the CarNet is of very limited use for me.
Not sure if any of this helps, but there you go anyway;)

I have everything working on mine now, but the dealers were little help;););)

There has been very similar situations in the past with VW, when the new Discover Media (MIB2) headunits came out a couple years ago they were telling people they couldnt do it in Golfs/Polos etc then after a year or so it became available
I suspect similar will happen with T6s

I ordered recently a VW Carstick and a 3 data sim from Amazon, cost £121 for the pair, the 3 sim is exclusive to amazon and offers 24gb over 24 months for just under £30.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trio-Pay-M...TF8&qid=1481835391&sr=8-2&keywords=3+data+sim

Having almost run out of Data on my phone contract last month, the option to purchase extra GB's was extortionate compared to the above, so for me it will serve a dual purpose of being used in the van and also back up for everything else that consumes data too.

I have managed to get Car Net working , but not App -Connect or Voice Activation I now think that they must be factory fitted

You ain't missing much with voice control anyway i get more sense out my 3 year old :unsure:

I have managed to get Car Net working , but not App -Connect or Voice Activation I now think that they must be factory fitted
I bought App connect but not voice control. It took a few goes to get it working as I was getting the activation message until I realised that one press on the voice control button tries to start voice control that I don't have but a long press on the same button activates app connect.

I ordered recently a VW Carstick and a 3 data sim from Amazon, cost £121 for the pair, the 3 sim is exclusive to amazon and offers 24gb over 24 months for just under £30.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trio-Pay-M...TF8&qid=1481835391&sr=8-2&keywords=3+data+sim

Having almost run out of Data on my phone contract last month, the option to purchase extra GB's was extortionate compared to the above, so for me it will serve a dual purpose of being used in the van and also back up for everything else that consumes data too.
Thanks for the link, when I am ready it will be one of these next:)

This is what response I got from a dealer

"We had a similar situation with multifunction steering wheels being retro fitted, and the telephone button was not usable as it hadn’t been integrated at the time of the vehicle being built.

I took delivery of my T6 on Friday and lucky tried the app connect before I left the showroom. It came up with the same message saying it needed the dealers activation code. The dealer had not come across the problem before and gave in after a hour of trying to get it working. He spoke to VW and apparently its a new system they have just made live. It used to be activated in the factory on the discovery media system but now you have to get a code. Probably so they can dish out codes and charge for them over the internet! But they were unable to create a code for the dealer to activate it on my van and it will be a couple of weeks before they will get it sorted! They gave me a used carstick to keep me happy for now, I have managed to register the van but now getting a message saying car-net service not available I'm hoping its not because of my location in Shetland. I'll check it in the morning and see if its just a glitch. Hope this gives you a little more clarity regarding the code situation.

Thanks
I look forward to seeing what solution you get .
At least you seem to be getting some sense out of your local dealer.

I took delivery of my T6 on Friday and lucky tried the app connect before I left the showroom. It came up with the same message saying it needed the dealers activation code. The dealer had not come across the problem before and gave in after a hour of trying to get it working. He spoke to VW and apparently its a new system they have just made live. It used to be activated in the factory on the discovery media system but now you have to get a code. Probably so they can dish out codes and charge for them over the internet! But they were unable to create a code for the dealer to activate it on my van and it will be a couple of weeks before they will get it sorted! They gave me a used carstick to keep me happy for now, I have managed to register the van but now getting a message saying car-net service not available I'm hoping its not because of my location in Shetland. I'll check it in the morning and see if its just a glitch. Hope this gives you a little more clarity regarding the code situation.
Carnet will require the carstick to be in signal to connect so depends what network your on and what your reception/signal is like

Carnet will require the carstick to be in signal to connect so depends what network your on and what your reception/signal is like
Carnet is working today, but the signal is very patchy in Shetland but by the looks of it I'm not missing much with car net!

Carnet is working today, but the signal is very patchy in Shetland but by the looks of it I'm not missing much with car net!
No it's pretty pants imo. Much better on other VW models with the larger screen on the media system.

Back