apple car play retrofit

Craigsom

VCDS User
T6 Guru
Hi All,

new here but had Transporters since 2002, have now got T6 with the discover media but it hasn't got Apple car play, does anyone know if this can be retrofitted ?? my VW dealer is saying its not possible but I have read in a few places that it can be downloaded??
confused .com

I initially thought it was not possible as i thought it was an external interface but having had the van apart now there isnt one so it must be in the headunit software im thinking, will do a bit of digging and see what i can find out

That would be great, there is a few conflicting stories about this ???

Cheers

I was on the no side for a while from purely from what i had heard but starting to wonder now ??

the guy that sold me the van from VW dealer said after a few months it will be available (was new in june) he has now left and all the others are a bit wet behind the ears and look at you puzzled when you mention apple car play or app connect :)

Good news is activation codes are available, bad news is its bloody expensive and the usb socket has to be compatible with app connect so if yours isnt then it will need to be changed
Cost is around £170 for the code and a replacement socket if required is around £25

*edit*
Im not actually sure how you enter the code looks like it may be dealer program job

Last edited:
Forgot to mention if you try to access app connect/car play you need to be able to see the screen that requests an activation code or its a no go

New head unit available at VW dealers including apple play and sat nav but it's not cheap. £1130

I ordered App connect for mine but just with the composition media player, so will they be giving me an activation code? (not sure what it all does tbh)

O,k, cool, @Pauly is it only certain apps from an iphone that can be mirrored? I didn't go into too much detail with the salesman on this, it was more a case of "can I play Spotify?"...

Hi Pauly,
First if all thank you for all the effort you are putting into this, 100% more than a VW dealer
Below is a picture of what comes up on the screen when I select app connect??

Any clearer ?

Cheers

IMG_0321.JPG

Yeah thats good as long as you can get to that screen you should be good to go, the official verdict is any MIB2 head units on vehicles with production dates after week 22 - 2015 are good to upgrade so all T6s should be covered
As i mentioned i can find the part and replacement usb socket if necessary but dont know how to enter the code, i think it may need a dealer VAS computer to enter it digitally ????????

Ok, so that seems to be the stumbling block then, would you happen to know anyone that could load this ?? Or aVW dealer somewhere in the country that could do it ?? I don't mind the price or travelling anywhere to have it done, just my local dealer is useless

@T6dder and @Walski are not far from you they may know somewhere decent, if not just have a ring around your nearest dealers and ask for a quote if they know what you are on about its a good sign

Tell them you wish to purchase part number 5G0 054 830 A - they should be able to check your vehicle is compatible and book it in
If you are finding this all helpful please consider helping us to help everyone - VIP Membership - im shameless i know :thumbsup:

IMG_20160126_182234.jpg

Total respect for being shameless I will VIP when I have a minute .

I will try my local dealer in the next day or so with that part number,

Thanks for all your help

App Connect is not somthing I want I cetanly do not have it on my car, it has a built in Satnav and I can play my Ipod through it and than is all I need. BTW if the VW Satnav is the same as the one in my car I'd not want that because you hav eto look down at it. At least with one you put on the screen you do not look down. The retrofit must be done on a laptop and no doubt the sofware is out there to do it
PS @Pauly do you run the California forum as well. they have VIP membership ;)

So does Apple Car Play need to be connected by USB to function? Will Bluetooth not make it connect?

Back