Direct Line

MotoPL

T6 Pro
Had our Kombi Highline insured by Direct Line for the past year. Gave us a great price and always been good when needed.

Just had the van partially wrapped with our company logo so gave them a ring - no problem with having that done as you'd expect.

But as we're thinking of modding the van in a few months, thought i'd also see where they stand on modified vans. We're basically looking at the most common mods, lowered a tad, different alloys, front/rear spoilers.

Was really surprised to find they had no problem with lowering (so long as VW approved) or sticking bigger alloys on.

Yet adding front/rear spoilers would be a Decline. How bizarre is that!

Didn't even get as far as details like that.
Spoilers added... No.

Guessing if fitted from new it would be classed as an option and allowed though.

Had our Kombi Highline insured by Direct Line for the past year. Gave us a great price and always been good when needed.

Just had the van partially wrapped with our company logo so gave them a ring - no problem with having that done as you'd expect.

But as we're thinking of modding the van in a few months, thought i'd also see where they stand on modified vans. We're basically looking at the most common mods, lowered a tad, different alloys, front/rear spoilers.

Was really surprised to find they had no problem with lowering (so long as VW approved) or sticking bigger alloys on.

Yet adding front/rear spoilers would be a Decline. How bizarre is that!
I'm with DL and had dealer fit options of lowered suspension and rear spoiler and after market alloys and they were fine with that. Your post is making me think as I was going to add a WOC splitter and it hadn't dawned on me to inform the insurer - I may speak with them before I go ahead, the renewal is due in May so that conversation may influence where my business goes.

Odd. I've got all these things on my van. However, I rang them to insure the van when customisations were complete and as a new van replacing my previous van with them. If that makes any difference ? ... as you are modifying an existing insured van with them.... don't know if that's significant.

Quite concerning but I was extremely clear and open with them about absolutely everything and all calls are recorded. I have front and rear spoilers, -40mm springs, 20"x 9 rims plus a never ending list of other cosmetic and 'usuability' extras, from leather seats, to suede lining to custom aluminium load space racking, ceramic paint protection film etc etc.

I couldn't believe how 'uninterested' they were in anything cosmetic. The only thing that affected the premium was anything THEY decided was performance enhancing. They said, of my list, that only included the springs and spoilers. Everything else just came under total capital cost of van insured and was not considered 'additional risk'.

Last edited:
Interested to hear how some you get on with your dealings with them.
Our renewal isn't till July so was going to approach the subject with them again then.

DL said they couldn't quote me because I'd added additional seating,which I thought was odd.
They were the only ones who said that,out of all the companies I contacted.

Back in 2007 when I had my first Transporter I was insured with them and called them about changing the wheels to some 20" jobbies, they said no problem we will amend your policy sir and at no charge. I thought thats great service. The following year when my renewal was due they sent the policy through without the wheels listed, so I called to ask why ? There answer was that we have no record of the change of wheels and we don't allow modifications. Thankfully I didn't make a claim during that first year of my policy or I could of ended up seriously out of pocket.

Is it just DL?
I’ve installed front seat swivels and am planning a wheel change - sounds like I need to check with my insurance broker.
Wot about the insurance companies that advertise in the various magazines - anyone with experience of those?

Direct line wouldn’t cover my kombi highline due to having Oryx white pearlescent paint

The inconsistency with Direct Line (Van Division) here is really quite concerning. I went over and over things with them on a number of occasions with different advisers and they were fine with everything (March 2018).

As I've said before, they had two distinct underwriting categories with me. Cosmetic modifications and what they classify as 'performance' modifications.

In my case, they classified the body kit (styling) as aerodynamic and therefore a performance mod along with, more obviously, the Cobra springs. Those two things were the only thing that affected the premium price. They didn't even ask me the colour !!! They were uninterested in the wheels, leather upholstery, suede lining etc etc

The only thing I can think of here, is that all calls are recorded these days, so those of us who are with them have that protection.

Had very similar conversation with my broker yesterday, I had not asked them regarding side bars, front splitter and front only lowering springs, I just did the mods then told them, they were not happy at all.

After the broker speaking with the underwriter and a few emails with photos and an explanation they were happy to continue cover.

Comments were made from the broker regarding paint colours particularly and also how highly attractive these vans are becoming, i.e theft.

Comments were made from the broker regarding paint colours particularly and also how highly attractive these vans are becoming, i.e theft.

Might explain why DL were happy with suspension changes and different wheels, but not cosmetic changes.

After all the comments .......... I just had to call them AGAIN to quadruple check. Thought I'd report back

I told them T6 owners were getting very inconsistent positions on insurance. I repeated some of the stories on here to underpin my concern.

I went through all my mods again (as above) and they were fine.

In answer to my concerns, they said it's not just the vehicle and it's mods but :

- do you have other cars,
- where and how is the van parked every night,
- what's the insurance track record where you live,
- what max annual mileage will you contract to,
- do you commute in it / use it for work,
- what is your driving record like.

They said quote "declines" very often come from the combination of both the vehicle, it's spec and the answers to the list above

Mmmm!

Policy due for renewal - between my wife and I we have 6 policies with DL , linked discounts, multi car, business, landlord, dog etc etc but they want to increase my van premium by £50 this year! Our other policies are all staying the same there or thereabouts. Phoned last night and the poor girl could offer no explanation - time to shift just the van policy or all policies to someone else? The thought of hours on the phone is not most attractive proposition at the moment! Also DL will insure others like my brother as a driver for free when in Europe but every time I travel to France 3/4 times a year I have to pay a supplement!!! Strange!

I just got a quote from Caravan & Motor Home Club, much cheaper than Brentacre even allowing for the annual membership, plus 365 days European cover. The van must be registered as a ‘motor caravan’ though.
Could be the start of the slippery slope to pipe and slippers.

Mmmm!

The thought of hours on the phone is not most attractive proposition at the moment!
Do wish insurance companies would offer a policy for 2 or 3 years to save all the faff each year. Mrs had one once a few years back but not seen anyone extend beyond 12 months since.

Back