Stronger recoil than a Desert Eagle!

JiMsHaDY69

T6 Guru
My standard T6 Kombi was insured via Direct Line for £360

I just had my second row seats changed from 2+1 to 1+1+1 and also added a third row bench so I called DL to sort it out now it had been modified from standard spec.

I could actual hear the person I spoke to recoil in horror as I mentioned the word "modified" and that I had the audacity to add more seats!

Thankfully my worries were put at rest straight away when I was informed that they would have to cancel my insurance as they don't cover modified vans.

Magic.

However they were happy to let me know due to them cancelling the policy there would be no cancellation fee to pay and I would be refunded pro-rata for days actually insured.

Direct Line gave me details of a preferred modified van company to try. One £2.5k quote declined later and I remembered about the forum!

A-Plan was called and came in with a £924 proposal that I reluctantly accepted to ensure I was covered once the DL insurance was cancelled.

This morning I called Brentacre and spoke to someone who knew about Transporters, camper conversions, lowered suspension, big alloys, etc.. and I got a fully covered policy with lots of scope for more mods at no additional cost unless they're upping the power. All for £450

A-Plan policy was cancelled at 10:30 this morning and Brentacre policy took over.

Obviously the fault lies with me not checking out insurance in advance of having modifications completed, but the difference in premiums was vast. From almost three times as expensive to an additional £100 a year.

Makes you wonder if there are folk out there vastly overpaying for their vehicle insurance?

TLDR I can recommend Brentacre for your modified van insurance as they seem to know their stuff.

I just had my second row seats changed from 2+1 to 1+1+1 and also added a third row bench so I called DL to sort it out now it had been modified from standard spec.

I could actual hear the person I spoke to recoil in horror as I mentioned the word "modified" and that I had the audacity to add more seats!

Thankfully my worries were put at rest straight away when I was informed that they would have to cancel my insurance as they don't cover modified vans.

Magic.

However they were happy to let me know due to them cancelling the policy there would be no cancellation fee to pay and I would be refunded pro-rata for days actually insured.

Direct Line gave me details of a preferred modified van company to try. One £2.5k quote declined later and I remembered about the forum!

A-Plan was called and came in with a £924 proposal that I reluctantly accepted to ensure I was covered once the DL insurance was cancelled.

This morning I called Brentacre and spoke to someone who knew about Transporters, camper conversions, lowered suspension, big alloys, etc.. and I got a fully covered policy with lots of scope for more mods at no additional cost unless they're upping the power. All for £450

A-Plan policy was cancelled at 10:30 this morning and Brentacre policy took over.

Obviously the fault lies with me not checking out insurance in advance of having modifications completed, but the difference in premiums was vast. From almost three times as expensive to an additional £100 a year.

Makes you wonder if there are folk out there vastly overpaying for their vehicle insurance?

TLDR I can recommend Brentacre for your modified van insurance as they seem to know their stuff.

I know I’m vastly overpaying for my insurance but £1300 is the best quote I can get for a 2017 T6 camper van with no engine or suspension mods. Over fifty six years of driving experience, forty of them as a professional with a clean record means nothing when the van lives in central London. I think the underwriters only see a nineteen year old boy racer who’s only just come off Playstations Gran Turismo. :uh run:

I know I’m vastly overpaying for my insurance but £1300 is the best quote I can get for a 2017 T6 camper van with no engine or suspension mods. Over fifty six years of driving experience, forty of them as a professional with a clean record means nothing when the van lives in central London. I think the underwriters only see a nineteen year old boy racer who’s only just come off Playstations Gran Turismo. :uh run:
oh, and "London", I fear

Magic.

Forget insurance....oh to fire a Deagle !!

Back