Ceramic hob v gas heating and cooking

I believe the diesel cooker takes a long time to warm up just for a brew and takes a long time to cool down which could be obnoxious in summer. Gas is simple and easy but it does cause a bit of condensation. We went for gas and I’m glad we did. It does mean that you need a separate diesel heater as being in the van when it’s cold it’s not pleasant at all.
Our kettle takes forever to boil on our cooker at home so I will be used to the delay!

Burn 1Kg of gas and get 1Kg of water vapour, OK in the summer but in the winter with the windows shut?
Put your diesel heater on and open the windows? But seriously, yes condensation is a bit of an issue but if you keep the cooking simple it’s not really a problem.

We leave our Webasto on all night in the winter - the pop-top has a ventilation mesh right at the top which helps, and of course it's hot, dry air. As to the diesel cooker / heater option we considered that based on a conversation with one well respected Scottish converter who are keen on them. On talking to the people who ended up getting the build contract, they noted that the heat output was of course halfway up the van (whereas the Webasto is floor level) and also noted the length of time it took to get up to temp for cooking, as well as the relative lack of controllability in comparison to gas. We like to cook! We went gas.

I note that others don't seem to find the lack of controllability or time to be a problem with the Wallas system. The only "downside" of the gas choice is that (in common with most) we have a Campingaz based set-up and of course that brings a cost / availability factor into the equation. It's one of those things I didn't know about beforehand really. I've been caught out once (on Mull) but even then I was able to get gas, to my great surprise, in the village shop at Fionnphort. We always carry a spare bottle now. I whinge about the price of C/gaz but realistically a bottle lasts about a year so it's not a big deal.

Obviously when we're cooking (or even boiling the kettle) we have the slider open if possible - if not, then the windows / mesh in the pop-top will be open. I can only recall one night when the conditions were so appalling we had everything buttoned up tight, and realistically probably should have lowered the pop-top.

We leave our Webasto on all night in the winter - the pop-top has a ventilation mesh right at the top which helps, and of course it's hot, dry air. As to the diesel cooker / heater option we considered that based on a conversation with one well respected Scottish converter who are keen on them. On talking to the people who ended up getting the build contract, they noted that the heat output was of course halfway up the van (whereas the Webasto is floor level) and also noted the length of time it took to get up to temp for cooking, as well as the relative lack of controllability in comparison to gas. We like to cook! We went gas.

I note that others don't seem to find the lack of controllability or time to be a problem with the Wallas system. The only "downside" of the gas choice is that (in common with most) we have a Campingaz based set-up and of course that brings a cost / availability factor into the equation. It's one of those things I didn't know about beforehand really. I've been caught out once (on Mull) but even then I was able to get gas, to my great surprise, in the village shop at Fionnphort. We always carry a spare bottle now. I whinge about the price of C/gaz but realistically a bottle lasts about a year so it's not a big deal.

Obviously when we're cooking (or even boiling the kettle) we have the slider open if possible - if not, then the windows / mesh in the pop-top will be open. I can only recall one night when the conditions were so appalling we had everything buttoned up tight, and realistically probably should have lowered the pop-top.
That’s a great insight, thank you. We are going gas as are chosen installer doesn’t fit diesel hobs. as you say, a yearly change in gas is not too bad!

Here’s a curve ball,
I've just upgraded my van, to have small scale off grid 240v system just to run a low watt kettle & hair drier.
So Theres a shore/ehu 240v system
the off grid system with a 2000/4000W inverter
138amp lithium battery with 120w fixed solar & currently 120w folding solar panel using Anderson connectors to feed the power in.
fixed gas system, with 2 burners
duel power CADAC cooking system for outside cooking
heating is from diesel heater.

usable space is at an absolute premium, so under the fronts, which are both are swivels, are the following:-
Drivers
1. diesel heater outlet, facing the rear
2. Inverter 2000/4000w
3. Shore ehu victron battery charger
4. ehu 240v socket
5. Anderson connector for mobile solar panels
6. VW hella module

passenger
1. 138amp battery
2. CTEK 250SE b2b battery and solar charger
3. 500amp Shunt
4. 250amp resettable fuse for inverter
5. battery monitor Bluetooth
6. VW’s fuses, relays & connectors

its all accessible for checking and servicing.

so this is my small effort to make life as easy as possible whilst way, as we tour, when we can, in France using the Aires and festivals in the UK.

As forum contributors say regularly, ‘it’s all about what you use the van for’

if your new to the camper world, it’s exciting and getting more so as campsite are opening too...

Happy spending;)

Here’s a curve ball,
I've just upgraded my van, to have small scale off grid 240v system just to run a low watt kettle & hair drier.
So Theres a shore/ehu 240v system
the off grid system with a 2000/4000W inverter
138amp lithium battery with 120w fixed solar & currently 120w folding solar panel using Anderson connectors to feed the power in.
fixed gas system, with 2 burners
duel power CADAC cooking system for outside cooking
heating is from diesel heater.

usable space is at an absolute premium, so under the fronts, which are both are swivels, are the following:-
Drivers
1. diesel heater outlet, facing the rear
2. Inverter 2000/4000w
3. Shore ehu victron battery charger
4. ehu 240v socket
5. Anderson connector for mobile solar panels
6. VW hella module

passenger
1. 138amp battery
2. CTEK 250SE b2b battery and solar charger
3. 500amp Shunt
4. 250amp resettable fuse for inverter
5. battery monitor Bluetooth
6. VW’s fuses, relays & connectors

its all accessible for checking and servicing.

so this is my small effort to make life as easy as possible whilst way, as we tour, when we can, in France using the Aires and festivals in the UK.

As forum contributors say regularly, ‘it’s all about what you use the van for’

if your new to the camper world, it’s exciting and getting more so as campsite are opening too...

Happy spending;)
Certainly a lot of £££££S will be spent!!

Back