Unusual Wheel bearing noise

Cwt6

Hi,

My own transporter t6 2016 4 motion is giving me a right headache! I have a droning noise from about 40 plus which doesn’t go away but gets worse if you take a left hand corner.
Does not go away on a right hand corner and doesn’t alter when changing road surface!
First I replaced both front wheel bearings and all tyres which are Michelin cross climates.
Then the o/s rear wheel bearing.
But still got the noise!

Thinking to try another o/s/f wheel bearing just incase I got a bad one although they’ve all been fag ones?

Anybody have any other suggestions? I am fearing it’s something in the transfer box but I wouldn’t have thought cornering would’ve affected that?

Thanks.

I have a 2018 4 motion and had a rumble/drone on corners, mainly left but some right too. It was there from when I picked it up (25k miles) and initially thought hard tyres, I've never got on with the continentals that were fitted. Changed the tyres and still the same. Thought about wheel bearings but surely not at 25k, changed the suspension top mounts and the noise disappeared completely. It seems the original mounts where transferring the road noise, and the additional load on cornering, through into the body. Maybe a long shot but worked on mine.

I was just about to say about tyres!
I had a drone which sounded very much like a wheel bearing but turned out to be one of the tyres. It only happened at a certain speed, about 65 mph in this case and while it sounded exactly like a bearing it didn't appear to behave like it. That is, loading up one side or the other in a corner didn't change the noise as expected.
In the end, it was one of my rear tyres that had an sort of saw tooth wear pattern which started to hum at the right speed. If I recall, it is a not uncommon issue with heavier rated vehicles running empty for long periods. I think the suspension, being essentially over rated for the weight is too rigid and the tyres bounce. Something like that anyway.

I have a 2018 4 motion and had a rumble/drone on corners, mainly left but some right too. It was there from when I picked it up (25k miles) and initially thought hard tyres, I've never got on with the continentals that were fitted. Changed the tyres and still the same. Thought about wheel bearings but surely not at 25k, changed the suspension top mounts and the noise disappeared completely. It seems the original mounts where transferring the road noise, and the additional load on cornering, through into the body. Maybe a long shot but worked on mine.
Was that the top mounts in the front? I did actually change a top mount bearing in the os a while ago actually, was an apec one that seemed different from the original maybe I should try a genuine one!

Was that the top mounts in the front? I did actually change a top mount bearing in the os a while ago actually, was an apec one that seemed different from the original maybe I should try a genuine one!
Yes, front top mounts. I went for the Meyle HD mounts, very pleased with them.

Back