Road rumble

Unimog

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I had a new gearbox fitted a 1000 miles back by Vw under warranty and have noticed recently a noise similar to very noisy tyres ( road rumble) or light vibration coming back through the van.

Jacked up the front to check the wheel bearings which appear fine, but noticed I could rotate but not spin the wheels as there is a lot of resistance through the diff, which is not helped with it being a 4motion. Is this usual. Incidentally it’s not binding on the brakes.

Yep you won’t really get a good spin on them, also much better to check them when you’ve been for a drive, you probably know but if your checking for wheel bearings if you reproduce the noise on a bit of straight road and gently load the steering in either direction if the note changes it points more to it being wheel bearings, hopefully they were retorqued and not just nut gunned up, lots that can make a noise but also don’t rule out a bit of subconscious as you know the vans had work so you’ll be picking up on things have you got anyone else that could give it a run that’s got a bit of experience of the t6 that can compare it, it’s silly but even the gearbox mount not being put back in the right place can cause a resonance

I had a new gearbox fitted a 1000 miles back by Vw under warranty and have noticed recently a noise similar to very noisy tyres ( road rumble) or light vibration coming back through the van.

Jacked up the front to check the wheel bearings which appear fine, but noticed I could rotate but not spin the wheels as there is a lot of resistance through the diff, which is not helped with it being a 4motion. Is this usual. Incidentally it’s not binding on the brakes.
I assume you are 100% satisfied that it isn't tyre noise?
I was absolutely certain that I had a mechanical problem on mine but new tyres fixed it, the old ones had about 2mm tread and were worn evenly across the tyre, but they had just got noisy with age.

Back