DSG Front Diff

WillWillWill

Farmer
T6 Pro
Hi all,

Van is a 2012 T5.1 180 DSG 4Motion.

I have recently started getting some kind of clunking noise under the van so today had it jacked up and was investigating possible sources. Been through every part of the suspension, drop links, ARBs, engine mounts, subframe mounts, blah blah and everything seems tight and no signs of movement. I am not that concerned and don't think anything is likely to drop out on the road in the near future.

When I was spinning the front wheels backwards and forwards I noticed I get a rattling noise out of the gearbox. I am assuming that the front diff in there is some sort of open plate design and it makes this noise with the engine off. Again, assuming, once there is some oil pressure in there when the engine is running everything tightens up and is as it should be. I got too cold and lost daylight so will continue tomorrow by jacking it up and checking again with the engine running.

However I wondered whether anyone could confirm anything about the design of the front diff on a DSG please. I have searched on here, and more widely, but can't really find a whole lot about it. Which probably means it doesn't go wrong very often, and this isn't something I need to be concerned about.

Thanks for any help or thoughts.

Worn drive shaft / gearbox output splines?

As per heading. Do we know if the T6's are experiencing the same issue with the drive shaft spline wear.
My T6 103Kw DSG is showing some backlash that I can not explain. All rubber mountings on engine and gearbox have been replace OEM VW. It is a lot better, but not what I would consider to be normal. I know the shafts are not the same between the T5 an T6.

Also checked them. As far as is ever possible to tell, they seem tight and happy.

The noise is not easily reproducible. It doesn’t happen on full lock, there is no vibration. I’d ignore it but it is a fairly loud one.

As I said, I can’t see anything obviously wrong and am probably going to just wait to see what develops, but was just interested in what type of diff was in these as I have never stripped it apart (and admittedly would prefer never to have to). The noise when I spin the front wheels is nothing like the one I was originally investigating, just want to make sure it is expected.

Last edited:
Jacked it up and the noise is the same even with the engine running. Still don’t really know what this means. Maybe it is normal, maybe it would shut up if I put it in drive (but there is no way I can test that….).

Probably all is fine, I have just never done it before, or at least noticed it if I ever did. Video here if anyone is interested.

Reactions: mmi
I guess you checked these already - for the theory:
Workshop manual for the DSG e.g. - https://cardiagn.com/vw-transporter-2010-15-7-speed-dual-clutch-gearbox-0bt/

I'm fairly confident the "slack/clank" on the video is just the way it is... isn't it actually the slack when DSG is in (P)ark?

Thanks @mmi I hadn’t seen the SSP so appreciate the link to that.

I think you are right and it is almost certainly nothing wrong and just how it is. It just was surprising because I have not encountered something that sounds like it before, but also this is only my second DSG vehicle and once you start looking too closely you start imagining all sorts of problems.

Having read through the SSP I am tempted to say it is likely the movement of the parking lock pawl within the parking lock gear. Unlikely these are a tight fit and also would explain why the van can roll a tiny amount forwards or backwards when in park and the handbrake not on.

4F00322A-0373-4788-B18A-6CF2AFAAC067.jpeg

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a vehicle with zero backlash in the drive train.
I had an A4 manual with 210K miles off the deck yesterday, similar backlash but less noise.

Reactions: mmi
Back