Devonport colour change & Tweaks

chriscroft

15 years of VW T 'ing
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Purchase a used set of Devonports off the forum, popped them to be re-coloured in "New Anthracite" powder coat, and the "Star Fish" inner cover sprayed "mat black."
New Upper Wing mirrors caps are being painted piano black (100% black with 2k lacquer) to match the lower caps and mounts.
I really do like the Devonports, but the bright silver 17" wheels somehow against Mojave Beige look a bit well "under-welming", which doesn't seem to be the case against darker body colours, somehow!!:confused:

In the pictures they look to have a contrasting colour, but its all one paint, which seems to nave a bit of a "two-tone" effect to it??? When I got the wheels off, they certainly are substantial and the inner rim is stamped " Borbet" , no wonder they have a high load rating; top German quality.:thumbsup:
Borbet | Home - some really nice OEM style wheels on their website.

Should get it all assembled to see what it looks like in the next couple of days. And the good news is, I've still got the all the old bits to put back on, if It doesn't look OK. We will see????:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes::eek:
IMG_3634.JPGIMG_3628.JPGIMG_3626.JPG

Last edited:
Purchase a used set of Devonports of the forum, popped them to be re-coloured in "New Anthracite" powder coat, and the "Star Fish" inner cover sprayed "mat black."
New Upper Wing mirrors caps are being painted piano black (100% black with 2k lacquer) to match the lower caps and mounts.
I really do like the Devonports, but the bright silver 17" wheels somehow against Mojave Beige look a bit well "under-welming", which doesn't seem to be the case against darker body colours, somehow!!:confused:

In the pictures they look to have a contrasting colour, but its all one paint, which seems to nave a bit of a "two-tone" effect to it??? When I got the wheels off, they certainly are substantial and the inner rim is stamped " Borbet" , no wonder they have a high load rating; top German quality.:thumbsup:
Borbet | Home - some really nice OEM style wheels on their website.

Should get it all assembled to see what it looks like in the next couple of days. And the good news is, I've still got the all the old bits to put back on, if It doesn't look OK. We will see????:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes::eek:
View attachment 7978View attachment 7980View attachment 7981
That's very nice, me like.

how much did it cost ? looks so much better
The wheels went to CJ powder coating at Cleethorpes/Grimsby. They came highly recommended and they do all the referbs for the local Merc & BMW franchised dealers. So to strip back the existing; powder coat - oven - clear coat -over & spray the centres mat black £200 inc VAT. I had the tyres took off already; but they do a drive in service with a same day turn around, and you get to spend the day in sunny Cleethorpes having fish and chips whilst it's being Done. I did mask the VW centres up myself before the centres were sprayed mat black by them.
The wing mirror caps ( I bought 2 new ones from VW with the cut outs for lane change/blind spot, £23 each +VAT; piano black spray and 2K lacquer by a local body shop £25+VAT each.

Last edited:
The wheels went to CJ powder coating at Cleethorpes/Grimsby. They came highly recommended and they do all the referbs for the local Merc & BMW franchised dealers. So to strip back the existing; powder coat - oven - clear coat -over & spray the centres mat black £200 inc VAT. I had the tyres took off already; but they do a drive in service with a same day turn around, and you get to spend the day in sunny Cleethorpes having fish and chips whilst it's being Done. I did mask the VW centres up myself before the centres were sprayed may black by them.
The wing mirror caps ( I bought 2 new ones from VW with the cut outs for lane change/blind spot, £23 each +VAT; piano black spray and 2K lacquer by a local body shop £25+VAT each.
£50 a wheel, that sounds very fair to me.

They look great - Looking forward to seeing them on the vehicle.

We have done a set in gloss black before, but these look much classier and really suit the lines of the alloy.

Im meant to be swapping mine for sportlines but seeing that makes me wonder. I personally thought the Devonports look a bit 'dull' however that makes they look so much more modern.

I love Devonports and saw a lot detailed at Busfest last year too. They look great! Can't wait to see them on!

They look good, look forward to seeing them on. Has yours been lowered in any way?

They look good, look forward to seeing them on. Has yours been lowered in any way?
It's a Vel Exec with DCC (Dynamic Chassis Control) option, so it comes with a 20mm drop as standard.
I think VW call it 20mm Dynamic Lowering, I have no idea what that means:confused:
The tyres are oversized slightly 235/60/17's so that also fills the arches a bit (about 10mm bigger in radius, so it takes 10mm off the gap all the way around);
and also 25mm wheel spacers all round which makes a big difference to its stance; especially with only 235mm wide tyres, and the standard et offset of a VW OEM wheel.
All very subtle tweaks, but add all three together and it looks about 267% better. Then a colour change of the wheels on top, hopefully...............

They do look good in the new anthracite colour.

I considered getting the centre of the spokes wrapped in Black to give a look similar to the rostyle wheels of old...

Popped into the tyre shop today, and had the Bridgestone 235/55/17 tyres (which came with these wheels) popped back on. These tyres whilst being the OEM size, are undersized to me as I my Nokians are 235/60/17; and I'm finding it hard to re-adjust aesthetically.
Annoyingly it certainly accelorates better with these rubber bands on. I think I'll have to swap the Nokians back over.

IMG_3653.JPG IMG_3661.JPG
I think I like them; they will certainly sparkle more on a sunny day; will like them more with bit more rubber wrapped around .
There isn't a lot of contrast with the Mojave beige body in overcast conditions.
See what the piano black mirror caps look like on Thursday:)

I am loving that look! They say imitation is the highest form of flattery... I might be about to flatter you!!

Back