Dealer's responsibility - Recoding for 20s

PondM8

I've recently got my t6.1 camper from new. 20" wheels fitted and so I checked it was reading correctly, appears to be under reading by up to 3mph (common thread on here).

My question, should this have been done by the dealer/converter, at the very least I should have been told.

I can drive to the error but I'm minded that, as it's illegal to have a speedo that under reads, should they have done it?

That size gets fitted because they're cheap and plentiful, not ideal for these vans. 265/40/20 are available and are closer in size to OEM. If you've not got a T32 you could go down to 255/40/20.
And as for whether the dealer should have done something about the speedo - it doesn't hurt to ask, I think the better option would be having them fit a more appropriate tyre though.

For reference transporter OEM wheel and tyre diameter is nominally 690mm, your current setup is more like 730mm.

Or if you're happy with what you have just do what most do and ignore it as having 20's is all that matters.

Many thanks, the information and advice is greatly appreciated. I'll live with it for now and revisit when it's time to change.

That said, I'll have a word with the dealer when they reopen in the new year

T28 here. Will the 35s run harder/former?
I run them, I used to have 255/45/18 amoraks, I noticed no difference what so ever, there’s still a decent wall on them, I run 255/35/20 on the fronts again, no difference.

I'll run these now until either they need replacing or I can afford my B14 Komfort gear
I’ve got 275/40/20 on the rear and 245/45/20 on the front. No probs. Speedo shows 30 when actual is 31. Can’t be arsed to change the speedo with vcds for that little error.

Back