Deaky’s Kombi to Camper journey

WOW WOW WOW!!! So so so impressed.
Totally beyond my capabilities but yet so inspiring.

Couple of questions if I may Deaky. I have an edition Kombi and am wanting to use Calli sliding door card and tailgate cover and trim. Can you tell me where you obtained yours from and did you have to change B pillar trim to suit? Did the require any extra holes drilling in the frame to get clipped on?
I am also wanting to dummy the offside one but I have read they wont fit so will have to deal with that separately.

In the rear you used a couple of old door mouldings with speaker grills in to re cover and fit into ply panels. (what vehicle were these from as I really like the shape and would like to copy that idea).?
Hi @T6Kombi-exec The B pillars don't need to be touched. The sliding door card and tailgate just clipped straight in. No drilling, all the holes etc were there already. The plastic around the sliding window needed shaving away slightly to fit the clips - I think I took some pics further up the thread. I got my doorcards off ebay and the tailgate from Pauly on the forum.

The door pockets in the back are rear quarter panels from a Citroen AX. Not sure what year, I saw them on ebay for £30 and took a punt that they'd work.

Putting a dummy door card on the offside is not impossible, I believe it was done by Hinkley Camper WRX on their show van. Google it and it should come up. Obviously the panel needs a huge amount of modifications :thumbsup:

A little more progress on the lift assist today. Fitted a small relay module to interface between the ram controller and the switch so I can retain the light in the switch :whistle:

All the wiring is in place, just waiting for the important bit now :cool:

IMG_8238.jpg
IMG_8240.jpg
IMG_8241.jpg

Few more jobs ticked off tonight.

Insulated inside the ‘C’ pillars and fitted the covers I made yesterday.
View attachment 20558

put the rear panels back in to tidy up the back while I decide how to increase them in depth to cover the door motors without the need for the plastic covers. I’ve also tidied up the wiring looms down both sides of the van ready for fitting the pelmets.

View attachment 20559

Plasidyed the carpet threshold strip so it’s the same anthracite colour as the steps and packed the cab carpet up so it’s the same height as the Caravelle floor

View attachment 20560
View attachment 20561

hi @Deaky
do you have a spec for that threshold strip at all? Thanks

Another big up to @Robert and sharing the knowledge :D

Automatic PDC activation when pulling into a parking space. I'm not going the whole hog and installing the rear traffic alert. More than happy with this mod. Saves pressing the button.

Another big up to @Robert and sharing the knowledge :D

Automatic PDC activation when pulling into a parking space. I'm not going the whole hog and installing the rear traffic alert. More than happy with this mod. Saves pressing the button.

@Deaky, how does it know you are parking up at the front. Do the sensors just detect it with the new module?

@Deaky, how does it know you are parking up at the front. Do the sensors just detect it with the new module?
It doesn’t know you’re parking per se. The sensors are always on but the overlay on the radio doesn’t display until you get less than around 80cm from an obstruction. And doesn’t beep until you’re even closer. It doesn’t tend to come on in traffic because you have to get so close to the car in front that it feels wrong if that makes sense. The rear sensors operate the same. I was in a queue and someone walked behind the van and the PDC overlay came on the screen.

It doesn’t know you’re parking per se. The sensors are always on but the overlay on the radio doesn’t display until you get less than around 80cm from an obstruction. And doesn’t beep until you’re even closer. It doesn’t tend to come on in traffic because you have to get so close to the car in front that it feels wrong if that makes sense. The rear sensors operate the same. I was in a queue and someone walked behind the van and the PDC overlay came on the screen.
Thanks @Deaky very good mod either way. Great work as always....:thumbsup:

@Deaky

Quick question on the usb wireless charger, did you hardwire the lead in anywhere or is it just plugged into the port in the Glove box.... I have my wireless charger in pieces now, led’s aren’t as simple as yours as they on the main board so it looks like I’ll be chopping up an old fibre optic lead

cheers!

@Deaky

Quick question on the usb wireless charger, did you hardwire the lead in anywhere or is it just plugged into the port in the Glove box.... I have my wireless charger in pieces now, led’s aren’t as simple as yours as they on the main board so it looks like I’ll be chopping up an old fibre optic lead

cheers!
It’s likely the usb in the glovebox won’t supply enough amps for a wireless charger. I made a new connection to the centre row of the upper fuse box and used a 3a 12v - 5v buck converter

I read through all of this last night :rolleyes: Epic work sir :thumbsup:
If I ever get my van deal sorted I may end up stealing some of your ideas...
Keep up the good work!

Back