Dave Cooper Bike rack on T6

Wezzo

Hi. I’m looking to fit one of the Dave Cooper towbar mounted motorcycle carriers on my T6. Has anyone tried this and if so does the handlebar fowl the door? Thanks

I had one on the back of a t5 camper and I think it cleared the van but not the permanent bike carrier that was on the tailgate... would be easy to modify to put a bit of angle on the bike to clear it

If I remember right, Dave cooper offer a different carrier for vans + 4×4's to cars for this clearance, so if buying second hand beware :thumbsup:

Reactions: JOG
I used to put my trials bike on the back of a Sharan. The rack I had held the front wheel turned towards the front, so that the handle bar was away from the door (if that makes sense). It was made by Kliponoff, I don't think that they are still around but might have been copied.

This issue I had with the Sharan was getting a strap out of the 'tailgate' so that I could pull the bike into the car - which is what I'd want to do if I used one on my T6. Don't just strap it down to the rack itself as you get a lot of turning moment on the tow bar mounting as the bike moves with acceleration / deceleration. A trials bike isn't too bad as the centre of gravity is low and the weight for a modern is 70Kgs'ish. A mud laden Enduro bike is another matter.

Looks good. I had one on my old cars before buying a trailer and then eventually the van. I'm thinking of getting one again so I can convert the van into a camper and somewhere to keep clean.

Thats excatly why i got the rack. Looking to convert the van to a camper and sick of the inside of the van getting filthy

That’s great thanks. Where did you get the adapter? I’m considering getting a trials bike but having to trailer it was putting me off. The set up you have would suit me to a T (6)

Hi yep I was recomended bak-rak by Dave Cooper (email below) I've not tried it in anger yet but have a competion Sunday so hope to give it a go.....

"Yes we can supply a rack but you will also need a BAK RAK swan neck converter
Thanks
Dave"

Hi yep I was recomended bak-rak by Dave Cooper (email below) I've not tried it in anger yet but have a competion Sunday so hope to give it a go.....

"Yes we can supply a rack but you will also need a BAK RAK swan neck converter
Thanks
Dave"
I have ordered a Dave Cooper rack to carry a Honda Grom. He recommended the flange type tow bar which has 2 bolts to hold the tow ball. Just undo the bolts and sandwich the holding bracket with 2 longer bolts. Tow trust has been recommended.

Hi. I have a DC bike rack which works really well. Chrispyduck , you have to watch the weight of the bike as the T6 only has a nose weight of 100kg and the rack probably weighs 10kg+. That limits to mini bikes, trials bikes and electrics I guess.

One other bonus with the rack is that it moves the tow bar hitch out about 40mm which means that if you have a Thule tow bar mounted pushbike rack the rear tailgate will open.

Hi Wezzo, thanks for your reply, do you have the swan neck & bac rac set up ?
I’m a bit concerned about the movement,
hoping to put a smallish 250 trial bike on for messing about in the winter

No I have a fully fixed towbar for the sole purpose of using one of the DC racks. Likewise on the trial bike. If it’s too heavy it could be a 2 man job loading. I do front wheel first and then have to lift the whole weight to put the back wheel in. Currently looking to change to an ultra lightweight KTM to help with this, under 95kg

Hi, this is exactly the setup I’m looking at, just wondering how you’re getting on with it, any problems ? Would you recommend it
Thanks
Hi Yep its been fine, use it most weekends since fitting, I got the tie down straps with it but cut the "hooks" off and fitted gated climbing carabiners so there was no chance of them coming off with any "bounce" and have played about with how to tie it down. As my van is now a camper with rear window my concern was the bike touching the window under heavy braking, I'll be putting the bike on tommorrow for the scarborough two day trial so if you want I can send you some photos of how I strap it.
enjoy

Hi Yep its been fine, use it most weekends since fitting, I got the tie down straps with it but cut the "hooks" off and fitted gated climbing carabiners so there was no chance of them coming off with any "bounce" and have played about with how to tie it down. As my van is now a camper with rear window my concern was the bike touching the window under heavy braking, I'll be putting the bike on tommorrow for the scarborough two day trial so if you want I can send you some photos of how I strap it.
enjoy
I also modified the light board so it clips on to the rack easily without having to tie it to the bike

Excellent, thanks for that just what I wanted to hear, mines a camper too so any photos would be helpful

Back