Dash Mounted Solar Panel

S555

VIP Member
I am thinking about buying a dash mounted solar panel that plugs into the 12 v socket to trickle charge the starter battery. Can i use either of the two sockets fitted as standard on the dash? Does it have to be unplugged when the engine is running?

I've just hard wired my dashcam and i'm worried the parking mode will flatten the starter battery.

Cheers
Darren

Both sockets are starter battery..

Unless you have a leisure battery installed..... in which case the top socket is leisure.

Doent have to be unplugged when engine running.... but most likely will be. (Depending on the solar controller)

Have a look here...

Thanks Dellmassive. I've had a quick look at you "How I did it guide " very helpful.
I have recently installed a dc dc charger and leisure battery under the drivers seat (MY19 T6 T28 h/ line pv). I thought both 12 v sockets on the dash were fed off the van battery and the 12v sockets etc in the back ( when i get round to fitting them) were off the leisure battery ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Have you considered that the windscreen glass will be partly resistant to the sun's rays that make a PV panel work!

OEM Leisure battery feeds top socket but DIY leisure would need wiring change to make it the same?

Back