Dash dim with sidelights: Is This Normal?

gal2009

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Stuck in traffic this morning, trying to get across Tamar bridge to Cornwall. I usually just drive with lights on auto but being bored decided to check out the lights on the reflection of the van in front. Went straight to main beam all good. Then i went to side lights. All good but have only just noticed all my buttons ie mfsw, electric windows etc buttons illuminated fine. However the speedo and rev counter don't light up on side lights. Is this normal ?

Yes. Sadly it appears to be normal. And the cause of much annoyance. No instrument illumination with side marker lights selected.

Standard behaviour to stop people driving in the dark with no lights on as you can’t see the display
Lots of people don’t like it but I actually think it’s a good idea, often see cars driving around on sidelights/DRLs when it’s dark as I assume there’s does light up ??

Never gave that a thought. Now you say it, i can see the reasoning behind it.

To my recollection in days gone by it was frowned upon to drive with headlights on, you were supposed to drive with just the sidelights in built up areas at night. My mate was stopped by the police whilst driving his m/c with the headlight on during the day ( we used to do it for visibility to other vehicles) and was made to turn it off!
How viewpoints have changed in the last 45 years.

So the book is contradicting what actually happens there. Claims instrument cluster lights illuminate when side lights are turned on. Although if I recall correctly, the red needles illuminate, but the white numerals don't.

I do appreciate where VW is coming from with this and get @Pauly 's point.

It just annoys me that when it's light enough not to require headlights to see, but dull enough that you want to be seen with tail lights to the rear at certain times of the day, (or all day, every day, in Scotland). Then you loose the dash illumination. Maybe it's an OCD thing. But it's just wrong, and the engineer that came up with it, well...and ....and.....and

I am not a number! I am a free Donkey!

(In need of his medication).

Anyone wanna buy a van!

is there a way of having the rear lights to come on with the drl's?.

is there a way of having the rear lights to come on with the drl's?.
Yes there is with VCDS, you need to tick the box for lights on with terminal 30 and they all come on with ignition

Why the rear lights aren't on all the time frustrates me something rotten. The biggest problem is in daylight when its misty or foggy and so many people don't put their full lights on, and the auto function won't either, then you are following vehicles you can hardly see. How is that safe. Just plain stupid.

To my recollection in days gone by it was frowned upon to drive with headlights on, you were supposed to drive with just the sidelights in built up areas at night. My mate was stopped by the police whilst driving his m/c with the headlight on during the day ( we used to do it for visibility to other vehicles) and was made to turn it off!
How viewpoints have changed in the last 45 years.
Quite a few things have changed in the last 45 years;)

I find auto really sensitive. Even when it seems to me to be a pretty bright day my instrument lights are on so i assume main beam is on.

summat else I've "gotta have" when i get my bus,and someone near me with vcds..:):)

I wish VW put some indication on the dials that shows when your dipped beam is on...especially on an bright/overcast day, it's hard to tell if they've auto'd on or not.
You're dead right there. Just plain stupid/lazy/tight. A simple idea not utilised. I believe it's the same across all VW/AUDI vehicles.

Back