Help...no dash lights and wont turn over (batt not flat)

Tommy13

Afternoon All,

So firstly apologies that my first post is one asking for help. I was hoping it would start with the first instalment of my build thread but I haven't made it that far without breaking something!

My van is a 2.0-litre TDI Euro5 102 PS 2015 (startline) purchased in November last year, I've been using it as a daily driver to work but had done nothing to it until i was furloughed in April at which point i decided was a good time to convert it into a camper.

However, i came to start it on Sunday and it was dead, it wont even attempt to turn over and no warning lights flash up at all on the dash when i turn the ignition. First thought was flat battery as it has been sat for weeks but it was showing 12.6V and other electrical systems (but not all) in my van are working. Charged the battery to full and still nothing.

The rest of the instrument cluster seems to work; backlight and the display in the centre (MFD?) but i cannot get any warning lights showing at all. With the ignition on the radio still works as do the lights, the central locking, the electric mirror adjustment, the hazard light button is still illuminated as is the passenger airbag off button (turned it off as i have a baby). However none of the electric windows are working.

I have been recommended an auto electrician who will come out and have a look but he cant get to me for a couple of weeks. So in the meantime i thought i would throw it out here on the off chance that somebody may know what it is and be able to tell me to replace something simple like a fuse or relay, wishful thinking i know!

Just a bit of background, i have done some work on the van so its entirely likely that i have buggered it up somehow (all work was done with ignition off and keys out) I installed a row of kombi seats which required me to drop the fuel tank and disconnect the fuel sender BUT i have had the van running since then so dont think i have done anything here. other than that i have soundproofed the cab so have done the usual teardown disconnecting and reconnected the wiring under the passenger bench whilst i removed it, same for the front door cards and i have had the lower dash trim off also. The only other thing i can think is that i may have pulled a wire whilst taking the carpet out but seems unlikely as i have been really careful around all of the electrics/wiring. other than that i guess it could be a coincidence or something to do with it being sat for a while but i have no idea.

Oh i have also laid some cables for a leisure set up that i bought from travelvolts but i havent connected anything to the van as yet so again could only be an issue if i have disturbed something along the way.

Sorry for the essay, appreciate it is a long shot without being able to see it but thought it was worth a try in case somebody has the answer??!!!!

cheers

Have you pulled any fuses and maybe put them back in the wrong slot?

Check the fuses in the "B" fuse box under the bonnet by the battery.

Afternoon All,

So firstly apologies that my first post is one asking for help. I was hoping it would start with the first instalment of my build thread but I haven't made it that far without breaking something!

My van is a 2.0-litre TDI Euro5 102 PS 2015 (startline) purchased in November last year, I've been using it as a daily driver to work but had done nothing to it until i was furloughed in April at which point i decided was a good time to convert it into a camper.

However, i came to start it on Sunday and it was dead, it wont even attempt to turn over and no warning lights flash up at all on the dash when i turn the ignition. First thought was flat battery as it has been sat for weeks but it was showing 12.6V and other electrical systems (but not all) in my van are working. Charged the battery to full and still nothing.

The rest of the instrument cluster seems to work; backlight and the display in the centre (MFD?) but i cannot get any warning lights showing at all. With the ignition on the radio still works as do the lights, the central locking, the electric mirror adjustment, the hazard light button is still illuminated as is the passenger airbag off button (turned it off as i have a baby). However none of the electric windows are working.

I have been recommended an auto electrician who will come out and have a look but he cant get to me for a couple of weeks. So in the meantime i thought i would throw it out here on the off chance that somebody may know what it is and be able to tell me to replace something simple like a fuse or relay, wishful thinking i know!

Just a bit of background, i have done some work on the van so its entirely likely that i have buggered it up somehow (all work was done with ignition off and keys out) I installed a row of kombi seats which required me to drop the fuel tank and disconnect the fuel sender BUT i have had the van running since then so dont think i have done anything here. other than that i have soundproofed the cab so have done the usual teardown disconnecting and reconnected the wiring under the passenger bench whilst i removed it, same for the front door cards and i have had the lower dash trim off also. The only other thing i can think is that i may have pulled a wire whilst taking the carpet out but seems unlikely as i have been really careful around all of the electrics/wiring. other than that i guess it could be a coincidence or something to do with it being sat for a while but i have no idea.

Oh i have also laid some cables for a leisure set up that i bought from travelvolts but i havent connected anything to the van as yet so again could only be an issue if i have disturbed something along the way.

Sorry for the essay, appreciate it is a long shot without being able to see it but thought it was worth a try in case somebody has the answer??!!!!

cheers
It’s a case of back tracking on the work you’ve done and testing at each stage, keep notes.
If doing modifications or disassembling / assembling it‘s always good to take the time at each major stage to test that it hasn’t caused a defect, that way it’s 99% clear what caused it.

Have you pulled any fuses and maybe put them back in the wrong slot?

Thanks for all of the quick replies so far guys really appreciated, i hadnt pulled any fuses prior to the issue so confident this isnt the problem.

looks like the heater blower isnt working on ignition either, so thats elec windows, heater blower, dash lights and starting the bloody thing that appears to be the list of problems so far!

will recheck the fuses, anyone know if the above issues may all tie in with any of the relays?!

and yes i did start by checking after each stage but got a bit carried away with myself! wont be making that mistake again.

I had exactly the same issue recently. Called out AA (who were excellent) and it turned out to be one of the big box fuses in the fuse box next to the gear selector. It wasn’t blown, just loose in its holder. A quick “wiggle” and everything fired straight up and has been no trouble since. Van was new in Jan 2020 (150 Kombi hi line dsg) and as far as I know the fuse box had never been touched since assembly.

Full Van ECU Reset (Capacitive Discharge) -- How I Done It --

The T6 is full of ECU`s, Modules, CAN Buses and Data packets . . . . . Just like your Phone or PC right.

The motor vehicle industry has spent years with research and development making the modern car/van Data and electrical system very Robust and resilient with built in redundancies and fail-safe measures everywhere.

But, every now and again things can go side-ways and the electrical gremlins come out to play. . . . . . . This is normally caused by electrical situations outside the normal working parameters for the vehicle. . . .Such as a very low or flat battery, bad starter causing excessive voltage drop, faulty alternator regulator, incorrectly installed solar setup, poor or corroded ground connections etc etc etc,

View attachment 46791

In the old days just disconnecting the battery terminals was enough . . . .but in modern motors the plethora of protection devices in the modules that does still work . . . . but you have to leave the battery disconnected for (upto) Hours . . . . Why - well most modules have voltage suppression capacitors across the power rails internally that can effectively keep the modules memory half alive. . . . . .for a period of time.

The solution to leaving the battery disconnected over night is whats called a capacitive discharge.

In a nutshell were are disconnecting the electrical system from any source of power and "shorting" the power-supply leads together (The battery cables) to allow the capacitive charge to equalize allowing the modules to fully power-down.

This is what we do . . .

first go find your battery, this will be under the bonnet . . . Note that if you have any other source of power on the van, this must be disconnected too . . . (disconnect the negative terminal from any Leisure battery's you have and isolate any Solar kit your running. Disconnect any EHU obviously too)

View attachment 46792

Disconnect the Ground cable first . . . . . . . the the positive cable...

Now cover the battery terminals for some added safety . . . a nice Jack Daniels beer Matt will do nicely here . .

View attachment 46793

Once the terminals are disconnected . . . . we need to get them in a position where we can touch them together (or use a small jumper wire)

View attachment 46794

next we need to touch them together and hold for 10 seconds.

View attachment 46795

Then the magic is done and its a case of putting things back together . . . . . .in reverse.

so connect the positive battery lead first this time . . . . . . and lastly the negative. ( you may get a crack or a spark when you do the connection, this is normal due to the inrush of current . . . . . but if you expect it it wont surprise you)

One a side note this can be used to clear any fault codes stored in ECU`s memory . . .so if you haven't got Carista or VCDS you can use this to reset say an airbag light due to taking the passenger side panel off with the ignition on . . . .plus may others.

Remember after disconnection the battery a few services will need resetting, like - Window Pinch (comfort closing) and the radio Time & Date etc etc etc.

Heres some background info from a VW Master tech, now your in-the-know go watch his video:

HumbleMechanic

This is worth a read, im no expert but it might help if you run out of ideas !!

I had exactly the same issue recently. Called out AA (who were excellent) and it turned out to be one of the big box fuses in the fuse box next to the gear selector. It wasn’t blown, just loose in its holder. A quick “wiggle” and everything fired straight up and has been no trouble since. Van was new in Jan 2020 (150 Kombi hi line dsg) and as far as I know the fuse box had never been touched since assembly.

Thanks for that! definitely worth me checking that out. By big box fuses do you mean the light green and black relays to the right of the fuses box with 644 and 645 written on the front? if so i don't suppose you know which was causing the issue?

Ta

Thanks for that! definitely worth me checking that out. By big box fuses do you mean the light green and black relays to the right of the fuses box with 644 and 645 written on the front? if so i don't suppose you know which was causing the issue?

Ta
The box fuses are at the bottom of the fuse box. Sort of look square from the top.

It was sc38 the green 40amp at the very bottom right. It’s ignition supply to key I think. Honestly, all the Aa guy did was wiggle it about a bit and I was on my way!!

It’s fixed!

just thought I’d drop an update in case anybody has the same issue in the future!

I got dragged away with work so only got back to have another look yesterday. Checked all the fuses and there it was a blown 7.5a mini blade fuse in the fuse box in the lower dash. Don’t know how I missed it the first time (think for some strange reason I didn’t think one of the smaller fuses would be responsible) but changed it over and all working as it should.

fuse was located in the middle row, 6th down from the top and as said was a 7.5a mini blade fuse.

just want to give a big thanks to everybody above for your help, really appreciate it. Will get some pics of the van up when I’ve made some progress!

Back