DA Polisher

Hi @Dan Morritz

I have one but not yet got to the roof, have to wait for some decent weather now.

More affirmation that I require supervision! Any guidance on what polish I should do afterwards? (I am assuming that I don’t need to use a DA on it!)
always treat clay barring as part of a machine polishing process, not wash process. Happy to help with any detailing questions you may have, been in the business for 16+ years, have tried and Tested most things.

always treat clay barring as part of a machine polishing process, not wash process. Happy to help with any detailing questions you may have, been in the business for 16+ years, have tried and Tested most things.
Hey @Clydiee - this is a useful comment and I wondered what your take is on how to carry out a 2 day detail (lets say you have 2 days with which to do a wash and one-stage machine polish). Is it considered acceptable to carry out a full wash and decontamination on day one, and then go into a machine polish on day two? If I have clay-barred the night before, and my bus is left outside overnight, is there something i should do before starting up the machine polisher? Is a panel wipe sufficient, or should i start day two with the clay-barring process..... Do you see where I'm coming from?
IN SUMMARY: If i have to leave the bus overnight, outside (exposed to dust, moisture, BLOSSOM), after a full wash, what is the first thing i should do before polishing?
Thanks- this is playing on my mind!!

Reactions: JOG
@Dan Morritz I really think you are overthinking things. You are correct that a panel should be clean and free from dust, pollen, bird shit etc before polishing, but if you have cleaned and decomtaminated the day before, it's probably only going to need a quick detail spray.

My way of doing things is to do a couple of panels from start to finish at a time. That way if I run out of time, what I have done is finished and protected.

Last edited:
@Dan Morritz I really think you are overthinking things. You are correct that a panel should be clean and free from dust, pollen, bird shit etc before polishing, but if you have cleaned and decomtaminated the day before, it's probably only going lto need a quick detail spray.

My way of doing things is to do a couple of panels from start to finish at a time. That way if I run out of time, what I have done is finished and protected.
I'll take that. Thanks @dubber36
I think my main problem here is that I'm stressing about an unkown.... time. Detailing a vehicle is not a very social, family friendly activity, so i guess i just need to deal with my feelings of guilt!!

If you spend the time now doing the job right, it will save you time in the future by making it easier to maintain, leaving more time for the important things, like 5 hour bike rides.

I'll take that. Thanks @dubber36
I think my main problem here is that I'm stressing about an unkown.... time. Detailing a vehicle is not a very social, family friendly activity, so i guess i just need to deal with my feelings of guilt!!
Don’t over-think this! Taking a couple of days off work following the recent arrival of a baby is perfectly understandable. Mrs @Dan Morritz won’t lay a guilt trip on you at all. You might even get a “gate pass” for a few pints too after a hard day’s detailing!

You really can't go wrong with a da machine, it's near impossible to do damage with them.

DAS-6 PRO Dual Action Polisher

These machines are highly recommended for beginners and can achieve amazing results with a bit of time, but don't forget to budget for some decent pads and polishes and I would also get a 75mm backing plate for some spot pads to do the tighter areas.

Not wanting to confuse you but your other option is a longer throw machine. The above machine is an 8mm throw, a popular choice is 15mm throw machine which will give quicker results but they cost more money and you can't fit the smaller backing plate for the spot pads.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube of how to use them. Aperfectshinedetailing is a good one.
Hope this helps abit. Cheers Matt
Thanks.

On a purely DIY basis…….clean out the chip….I pre heat using Wife’s hairdryer…blob paint on using cocktail stick ( as above ) and dry again with hairdryer….leave to harden ..and slowly cut back with a polish..like Autoglym super resin ….its not quick…the only saving grace is the van is grey…

its best done out of sight…..you get some odd folk ask silly questions about the hairdryer :)

I have a small Rupes Bigfoot DA polisher (75mm) ideal for all sorts of applications. I have had very good results with Sonax Profiline Perfect Finish.

Back