Cutting holes in plastic trim

bootsam

Mechanical Engineer
VIP Member
T6 Guru
What do people recommend? Do those cone drills work on trim? I'm installing some USB points in each B-Pillar plastic trim. I went to my hole cutting set and found exactly the one in need is fubar. I cannot even recall doing it, plus its the only one thats ever been used. Cheap set in plastic box. Prob £5.99. Bought so long ago, I can't remember. Anyway, since I have to purchase another to cut an 29-30mm (ish) hole I thought I'd enquire. May as well buy a half decent one.

I use a hole cutter which is like a punch hard to explain drill pilot hole put cup onside and punch other and pull through with a bolt back in the day they were referred to as Ariel cutters for body work

I used a cheap step drill on my gloss trims. Worked really well. Set of three from tool station.

Another vote for cone cutters. I’ve used them in all materials. I have the taper variety rather than stepped so with thicker materials to finish off, I run the cutter from the back so the hole isnt tapered.

Last time I used them was fitting USB sockets in the plastic kick boards of the front seats.

Ian

I opted for niknaks suggestion. I need a 28.5mm hole and a cutter comes in 28.3mm, which along with my dremel is close enough. But nice to know those cones work on trim.

Cones do work but I find them messy and being pedantic with engineering background if I want a hole I don’t want it tapered unless it’s meant to be

If you’re cutting the same size hole over and over then the proper cutter is best.

The cone cutter is infinitely variable and the ones I have cut holes up to 32mm. You do have to be careful with them as they cut fast and can wander so not without risk. As an enthusiast, I couldnt afford to have £22 of cutter for every hole size I might need to cut, sat in the tool box.

I have a cheap hole saw kit but would only use these on plastic as a last resort. Wood and plasterboard only!

Ian

Back