CTEK D250SE Solar Panel Erratic Voltage

Ziad

Hi everyone,

I am setting up my charging system in the T6 and have encountered something unusual, I was wondering if anyone has come across this before.

I have a CTEK D250SE connected to the starter battery (Bosch S5 AGM) and the leisure battery (Exide Marine Leisure Equipment GEL ES950 12V 85Ah) and a solar panel (Eco-Worthy 100W). When measuring the voltage from the solar panel before connecting to the CTEK, I get a steady voltage, but when I connect it to the CTEK, the voltage is erratic and jumps up and down.
When I disconnect the leisure battery from the CTEK and leave the solar panel connected, the voltage is steady again.

Is this normal, or is there an issue somewhere?

thats normal-ish for any MPPT solar controller.

its doing the MPPT bit which works out the best current/voltage for max power . .

got any pics?

if the ctek working as expected?

if there a problem charging the battery?

thanks mate. I'll take pics or videos tomorrow during the day.
The CTEK is working as expected, no error lights.
I haven't kept it connected long enough to check whether the battery is charging properly. I was afraid that keeping it connected might harm the CTEK and or the battery.

Tried to upload a video but I wasn't able to. Anyway, the reading on the multimeter was jumping between 14V all the way upto 21V

PXL_20210723_120034782.MP.jpg

look good and readout looks ok.

1627044123989.png

have a look at adding a BM2 blutooth battery monitor to you re leisure battery...

more info here:

If that’s at the output end then surely jumping to 21v is not ok!?

look good and readout looks ok.

View attachment 124731

have a look at adding a BM2 blutooth battery monitor to you re leisure battery...

more info here:

thanks mate. I'll look into that monitor.

Ziad last posted 2 years ago and hasn't logged in for a year - if you're having an issue you may be better of starting a fresh thread :thumbsup:

And as Dellmassive mentions the voltage fluctuations noted here are expected in an MPPT situation as the tracker tries to find the best combination of voltage and current to maximise power generation.

Back