CTEK 250SE Solar problem

Waumo

Hi All,

First post so please go easy. I have searched the forum but I haven't found any other posts on this. I fitted my CTEK 250SE DC to DC charger around 2 months ago and all was working as expected , I would start the engine and after a few seconds the CTEK would start up and charge the leisure battery (110ah AGM), when the ignition was turned off it would then go into power saving mode.

Last week I connected a Renogy 160w Flexible solar panel to the CTEK, the solar panel charged my leisure battery and then it moved onto the starter battery. Now my DC to DC charger never seems to go into power saving mode. I always have two lights, the green power light and the amber solar light 24/7. Does this sound correct? The battery charge lights do come on when the battery's are being charged, but the amber solar light is always on regardless. I would of thought that when both battery's were charged the CTEK would 'power down' back into low power mode?

I was wondering if this was the same for other people who have the CTEK 250SE and Solar?

Thank you

Craig

Hi Travelvolts, thanks for the reply.

Yes, even when dark. I went out last night around 23:30 to have a look and both the solid green power light and the solid amber light were still on. I just don't know if this is how it is supposed to be and is normal behavior for the CTEK. There error light isn't flashing. I just don't want it to be draining the starter battery and end up stuck somewhere! So I was wondering if other people with the same setup is doing the same.

CTEK.jpg

1592318993058.png

Its made by Renogy, there 160W flexible panel.

160 Watt 12 Volt Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel

When I start the engine the A light also comes on a short time after, so I guess the CTEK gives the starter battery a boost from the solar to top it back up. If I turn the engine off and then go and and put the lights on in the van and charge a few USB devices and turn the inverter on to drain the leisure battery a little it will then turn the leisure battery charge light on.

I guess I just expected it to go in 'low power' mode once both battery's were charged up.

In case anybody does a search in the future and comes across this post as it describes what they are looking for, I emailed CTEK and they responded with:

The D250 will only go in to current saving mode if the batteries are fully charged.
If charging is needed the unit will search for a source that is why the solarpanel light is on.
The led light takes ca 0,02 mA so they will not drain your start battery.

Not entirely sure I am happy with that answer as my CTEK was on again this afternoon in the sun with the solar light on and not charging any battery, so I would assume that if neither are being charged it is because they are both full. Its a 2016 T6 Bluemotion (no adblue so I guess a euro 5 engine). So unless the Bluemotion technology stops the starter battery from ever getting to 100% percent ??? hence the reason why the CTEK no longer powers down I don't know, I am just guessing. Or of course my starter battery may be on the way out!

Last edited:
Hi, I've just installed a CTEK 250SE in my T6 today and when the van ignition is switched off all the lights go out then a few minutes later the green power light flashes a few times. Is this what you mean by power saving mode? Cant find anything about it in the manual. I'm hopefully connecting up a solar panel in the next couple of days when cables come, so will keep you informed on how my CTEK reacts.

Hi Andytay, that would be great if you could, thank you. I think the manual calls it current saving mode under the section describing what the lights mean.

Hooked up the solar yesterday and checked the ctek lights last night before bed and green power light and amber solar light were on like you said. Leisure battery and starter battery were nicely charged when checked this morning and its currently trickle charging starter battery. So all seems normal. Solar amber light must just stay on all the time when solar is connected.

Thank you for taking the time to have a look and getting back me. Sounds like it is behaving exactly the way it should do then! When you have never done these kind of things before its always good to check with other users of the same equipment. To be fair the CTEK so far seems to be a nice little solution.

Update. Been working on the van today in the garage because of the horrible weather and notice that the ctek does go into power saving mode with the solar panel connected. So when no power from the panel it will do it. So think it does do it at night, but maybe early hours when we are sleep and don't notice.

Interesting, thanks for the update. I will have to try and do a few tests over the weekend, perhaps cover up the solar panel and see what happens with the CTEK.

Silly question time, I've just fitted the CTEK 250 to my T6 and looking at using a Solar panel with it, but not permanently connected, only when I'm parked up at a site/beach/etc. Does the Solar panel connect directly to the CTEK or does it require a solar charge controller?

Silly question time, I've just fitted the CTEK 250 to my T6 and looking at using a Solar panel with it, but not permanently connected, only when I'm parked up at a site/beach/etc. Does the Solar panel connect directly to the CTEK or does it require a solar charge controller?
It has an MPPT controller built into the CTEK 250SE, so you can connect your solar panel straight to it.

It connects directly to the CTEK , but you need to check that your solar panel open circuit voltage is within spec for the CTEK

simon

As above, it connects directly to the D250.

Solar POS and common ground.

Don't use any controller that comes with the solar panel kit if using the D250.

Look at getting a quick disconnect to make like easier.....

More info here....

Back