Ctek 250se question.. small black earth

T6DSGChris

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have just fitted the ctek and she works a treat, sat there relooking at the instructions.. page 7 got me a little..

i have smart alternator in the new t6.. but im using my 110ah old leisure from my t5 conversion...

Small black wire.. i initially earthed..
Now.. i'm not convinced.. see attached pic..

standard not attached
Agm as most of you have and i'm debating... attached to earth
And lithium to +12v

theories please.. thanks :)

B45B967E-819D-424B-916F-D7194B148299.jpeg

My understanding is it depends on what type of leisure battery you have, an agm connect the black lead to earth, a normal lead acid battery no connection, but I can see why there might be some confusion as the instructions are not that clear, if I’m wrong someone else will be along to put you right

I thought so but a colleague thought different.. even my missis reads it the same as me

thankyou hope everyone thinks same

Same size physically in agm is a 90ah.. thoughts on whats best.. im reusing a lot of wiring and my pod/install etc from my much loved t5 but i swapped due to needing an auto. Agms have the glass platelets etc? Cope better with more stress, charge faster etc? The 110 old skool is actually bigger than i should use on the ctek..
Im an ex techy thats in the land of old.. 15years off my spanners.

Ta for help

If I had an old 110 ah lead acid battery I would use that until it was knackered then replace with an agm or lithium depending on finances. Who knows you could get a couple of years out of the old battery, I think you just need to ensure it’s vented and kept upright whereas an agm can go on it’s side

Yeah all put in yesterday and finished today when my cable crimpers landed from amazon
Pic was trial fitting bits.. will do finished pic tmora.. when i take seat back and and disconnect the small earth

ordered my 30amp fuses also as had 100a on old VSR system. (Not fitted by me)

thanks all for vibes, appreciated

EF078F95-2859-44CA-98F8-3C9F37F1DD9A.jpeg

You don't need to connect if it's not an AGM
what he said . . . .

leave the wire disconnected . . . its used to tell the ctek what charging profile to use . . .

if you have a standard lead acid battery. - leave it disconnected.

when you swap out for an AGM - then connect to ground.

and if you go lithium - connect to +12v

Thanks so much you guys.... this is very useful information again.... what a site this is ... hoping to be fitting the B 2 B Ctech this coming weekend. as the weathers poor again. Was down in Seaford / Newhaven this weekend hoping for a bit of Fishing was a wash out

Fitted my AGM Battery and Victron mains charger last weekend Under the drivers seat, was tried and tested out this weekend. The blue - tooth function is very useful as the battery is out of sight.

really very pleased with the kit with all the cabling @travelvolts has sent me thanks again you guys

I’ve just installed a Leoch 110ah Powabloc GTP gel battery. Should I connect the black wire to earth? Is it the same charging profile as an AGM? Doesn’t say in the ctek instructions?

Think I’ve found the answer myself. The spec sheet for the battery says it needs 14.6v which puts it in the AGM profile of 14.4-14.7 so I’ll leave the black wire connected to earth. Panic over.

Back