CRX50 fridge killing battery after 2 hours

KPAO

Hi I’ve just bought a new T32 camper fitted with a 90amp (I think) leisure battery. On 12v fridge only lasts for about 2 hours and doesn’t cool that well plugged in at 240v. Does anyone have experience on this as I’ve been told it’s perfectly normal and 2 hours is all we should get on leisure battery?

2hrs ...

Don't think so.

Post some pics of your setup.

We’ve got the 40L version of that fridge and a 75Ah leisure battery and it lasts closer to two days than two hours so it definitely doesn’t sound right. Are you sure the leisure battery is in good condition and fully charged?

CRX50 with 2x 45Ah, have 140W solar but runs overnight and powers Wallas XC Duo and misc chargers and lights no problem.
Works fine on EHU and pulls the temperature down quickly, I normally use on setting 2 of 5.

I've got a CRX65 and two 80 something ah leisure batteries with 100W of solar and a Ring RSCDC30. No problem using for a couple of days even in mid 30s ambient temperature. The only extra is a thermostatically controlled additional air circulation fan for the cavity behind the fridge.

I find that the CRX seems to be a bit more efficient than the older CR version, perhaps due to the electronic temperature control and more modern radiator on the back.

You say it doesnt cool that well on 240v, have you got something in it,like a couple of water bottles etc, its hard to tell on an empty fridge, I agree that you should get a few days from a decent leisure battery,

What has 240v got to do with a CRX50?

It's a 12v fridge with no other option. If you have a 240v power unit it is only to provide 12v for the fridge when it's not got a 12v battery connection.

When I plug my van into 240v the fridge is still drawing power off my leisure battery via the battery charger. Even with a failing battery fridge will still work. I was trying to see if his battery was good or fridge failing. OP mentioned poor performance on 240v. Is battery charger ( if fitted ok).Got to ask various questions as everyone has different set up

Thank you for everyone's offer of help. I'm a little new to this so could actually just be entirely getting it wrong, I'm no electrician! I've charged van yesterday and swiched on this morning I had 11.5v in the battery @ 9am this morning and turned fridge on (it has a few cans in it only 2 or 3). Fridge was cooling ok by 11am voltage was at 10.8v and back at 1pm 11.3v. In between 11 and 1pm the fridge has stopped working and I've got a red warning light which refering to the catalogue is Low Voltage (see pics) - I can only assume it's dropped to below 10.4 but within 4 hours?. Any guidance would be welcome. Thanks....
Battery is 12v wet battery. I'll try again on 240v and see what happens...
Pics attached of the set up. It's a new build on the van so everything brand new.

Battery.jpg

Switch on.jpg

12v 72a.jpg

Warning.jpg

Charge battery for much longer, try 24 hours , a charged 12v battery is high 12s or even 13v or so. If you are only 11.5v that is far too low to run fridge.

That battery is probobly knacked then.

if its been on charge all day you should see about 12.6v

if its an AGM battery then around 13.0v

if after charge its only 11.5v (with stuff switched off)

and it drops to 10.8v then thats an indication that the battery is knackered.

if you run the battery bellow 11.9v odd you will perminatly damage it.

standard SLA . . .

1596803189316.png

AGM . . .

1596803202786.png

it might be worth having that battery tested with a proper meter? - say at Halfords or other that offer a free test.

if it need replacing look at getting a AGM battery . . . its a bit more cash but way better and will last longer.

more info:

maybe look at some mobile solar to help keep you battery charged?

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --

you have a 7
Thank you for everyone's offer of help. I'm a little new to this so could actually just be entirely getting it wrong, I'm no electrician! I've charged van yesterday and swiched on this morning I had 11.5v in the battery @ 9am this morning and turned fridge on (it has a few cans in it only 2 or 3). Fridge was cooling ok by 11am voltage was at 10.8v and back at 1pm 11.3v. In between 11 and 1pm the fridge has stopped working and I've got a red warning light which refering to the catalogue is Low Voltage (see pics) - I can only assume it's dropped to below 10.4 but within 4 hours?. Any guidance would be welcome. Thanks....
Battery is 12v wet battery. I'll try again on 240v and see what happens...
Pics attached of the set up. It's a new build on the van so everything brand new.

View attachment 80444

View attachment 80445

View attachment 80446

View attachment 80447
[/QUOTE
seems you have a 72 Ah battery from the pic ... you might need a new Battery. turn off everything before you charge it then see if it gets fully charged 13 + v if its not taking a charge.. you need to check whats coming out the charger, before replacing the battery don't let your battery drain so low it will damage or shorten its life and could void any warranty

FYI,

your battery is a 12v 75ah NON-AGM SLA.

this battery will fit under the seat . . .

@travelvolts

1596804275820.png

its 12v AGM and 110ah . . .

much better . .

FYI,

your battery is a 12v 75ah NON-AGM SLA.

this battery will fit under the seat . . .

@travelvolts

View attachment 80459

its 12v AGM and 110ah . . .

much better . .
Thank you! I know we'll be wanting to upgrade things anyway as it's basic stuff that's been put in. Appreciate it

Getting battery tested isn't a great wAy of proving leisure battery. I took mine to four places and had it tested and they all said it's near perfect condition. I think there testers measure cranking power and not capability as a leisure battery. Mine would hold a charge with no load but once load is on it only lasted a few hours. Even now it's been off charge nearly 2 weeks and is sat in garage at 12.7 volts. I would try and get hold of another battery you can try and see how you get on. I ended up doing all sorts before deciding it was the battery at fault. I was tricked by the tests that companies done on the battery telling me it was a good battery.

hiya i was just going to say from looking at your battery picture was a 75 Ah but Dellmassive beat me to it so i delted it well thought i did, your battery should sit at the charger voltage most would expect over 13 volts from a charger did you replace it in the end

hiya i was just going to say from looking at your battery picture was a 75 Ah but Dellmassive beat me to it so i delted it well thought i did, your battery should sit at the charger voltage most would expect over 13 volts from a charger did you replace it in the end
Just getting used to everything. Yes it’s definitely just as soon as the power drops below 12v. I guess we’ll just upgrade it eventually. Seems to all be good now. Thanks for everyone’s advice!

Back