Crazy window wipers

bigdoc930

331,000 miles and still going strong
VIP Member
Hi everyone new member and first post.

My t6 has an intermittent issue with the window wipers, I’ve had a look on the search tool but haven’t found a similar issue, basically when set to off every so often my wipers just come on and stay on going fast, if I click up once it’s stays the same if I click up again to low it slows down. It does go off eventually but it is very very annoying for the main part but I’m guessing also not great for the motor or wiper blades.

Does anyone know of this issue or experienced it themselves? Anyone have a possible solution to stop this?

Thanks in advance

Stuart

I had a similar thing, my wipers had a mind of thier own. I turned off automatic wipers in Carista and that sorted it

I had a similar thing, my wipers had a mind of thier own. I turned off automatic wipers in Carista and that sorted it
Same thing here, automatic wipers coded off due to them behaving crazy way too often. Half of time they worked ok but when not wiggling the stalk constantly was more work than using manual mode.

Also winter time Finland there’s often frost or snow on top of the sensor and wipers would come on unexpectedly while cleaning - I basically never remembered to turn them off at the end of previous trip.

Last edited:
On a side note, when the stalk is set at ‘off’ does this actually mean auto?
No, off should be really off. The wipers are auto having stalk in intermittent position.

Thought that, that’s why it’s so weird it coming on when set to off.
Could be a broken stalk switch as suggested. If you have them off do the wipers activate if you throw a bit of water on top of the sensor?

If your ’off’ and ’intermittent’ stalk positions are now basically same disabling auto wipers from Carista would not really help. You would then just have intermittent on all the time and could only stop them by turning ignition off.

Could be a broken stalk switch as suggested. If you have them off do the wipers activate if you throw a bit of water on top of the sensor?

If your ’off’ and ’intermittent’ stalk positions are now basically same disabling auto wipers from Carista would not really help. You would then just have intermittent on all the time and could only stop them by turning ignition off.
Would changing the switch involve swapping the whole stalk over?

Not my doing haha was a company van that done trips from Scotland to Norway. It still runs spot on just a few things I need to try figure out and fix.

You'd think that journey would be better by boat :D

I've had the auto wipers on my M3 go funny before and it was to do with the rain sensor in the windscreen, might be worth looking at that?

Would changing the switch involve swapping the whole stalk over?
Yes the switches are not sold separately, the stalks are one entity including both left and right ones.

It's been a few years but my T5 stalks were changed once - then the stalk package was around 100e + ofc some work at the stealers. Probably little bit more as of today. It's not the worst possible price but of course better to try to diagnose first that the switch is the actual issue.

Yes the switches are not sold separately, the stalks are one entity including both left and right ones.

It's been a few years but my T5 stalks were changed once - then the stalk package was around 100e + ofc some work at the stealers. Probably little bit more as of today. It's not the worst possible price but of course better to try to diagnose first that the switch is the actual issue.
Thanks I’ll check the other possible solutions before hand. I also have a chip in my windscreen, not sure if this is anything to do with it? Do you know where the rain sensor is located?

I also have a chip in my windscreen, not sure if this is anything to do with it?
Can't imagine it being relevant. And specifically not to the issue of wipers doing their thing with the switch in off position. Dirt or chip over the sensor could perhaps confuse the automatics and keep wipers too high in light drizzle though.

Do you know where the rain sensor is located?
It's in the rear mirror base facing the windscreen

Gave the carista a go and you were absolutely spot on, turned off auto wipers and when stalk was set in the off position the wipers came on at the intermittent settings.

Tested rain sensor (with a water can) and that seems ok so I’m going to try and get a hold of a new stalk.

Gave the carista a go and you were absolutely spot on, turned off auto wipers and when stalk was set in the off position the wipers came on at the intermittent settings.

Tested rain sensor (with a water can) and that seems ok so I’m going to try and get a hold of a new stalk.
There's many slightly different variants so take care to get the correct one if not going down the dealer route

Back