Cover for bikes mounted on Tow Bar Rack

Ayjay

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Am I mad even thinking about using one of these to cover the bikes on long journeys? (if we ever get to do them again):
On the one hand, I want to protect the bikes from rain and general crap but, on the other, I'm wondering whether it's going to make the very non-aerodynamic van (and associated poor fuel consumption) a lot worse (and maybe noisier) than it already is. I'm also attracted by the fact that when parked up, although it would be obvious that there are bikes on board, the bikes themselves can't actually be seen. Under the cover, the bikes themselves would be secured to the rack with locks/chains and I would probably put a long cable and padlock around the cover and bikes as another visible layer of security.

Does anybody else on here do anything similar?

Personally, I would be more worried about the cover flapping about and rubbing the paintwork and components on the bikes ! I (did) travel to the South of France twice a year for the last 12 years and used a towbar mounted bike rack on various vehicles and never had an issue with crap and the weather denigrating the bikes.
Bike boxes are the other way I would consider carrying externally if you are comfortable with taking both wheels off and the saddle and handle bars.

Every bike cover I have seen on the back of a campervan / motorhome has been flapping around trying to or managing to shred itself.

Pete

Thanks guys but I'm more concerned with increased wind resistance and security. IMHO, the flapping issue is really just a matter of more straps / bungees!

Has anybody on here got any direct experience please?

We've used a cover similar to your link ever since we drove back through France in an 8 hour downpour. Bikes were filthy by the end & since using the cover that keeps the vast majority of muck off, even in dry weather it helps. No issue with flapping if it's tight enough & IMHO it helps keep opportunists from swiping less securely attached items when parked up at services etc. If the van is fully laden on a big trip we're still averaging 45mpg+, I don't think the cover made any difference in this regard. We also keep the bikes attached to the rack & under the cover when on the campsite, we just sit it next to the van with a lock through a van wheel & attached to the rack.

@Jim Laycock. Our thinking is obviously the same on this one. Can you recall where you actually got your cover please? I ask as I'm assuming it wasn't the firm in my link.
On fuel consumption, you're obviously lucky enough to have bought one of those rare unicorn VW Transporters that returns a 40+ mpg. That's something that I couldn't dream of even if I drove like one of my long dead grannies on a sunday outing.

I've had the covers for years, had a quick look on amazon & there are loads for under £20. It has a velcro strap that holds the opening together underneath & stops excessive billowing. Mine are for a single bike but have found it fits over two road bikes when fitted to the rack, the wifes bike is smaller than mine which helps, but a two bike specific cover should be easier to fit. I tend to set the cruise to 65 & trust the computer is telling the truth! It's the 102bhp which I'm presuming helps?

I use a Velosock on a Thule tow bar carrier. It sits tight to the individual bike, completely closed in less zip access to secure frame and wheels. Covers for pedals included to prevent rub from the inside. Also useful for when I pop the bike inside the van and campsite storage amongst others. Allows additional use of Kryptonite cable and padlock as additional security.

Well designed and made, recommended but expensive.

One of my concerns is having an expensive bike on display, it will never stop the determined who come equipped, but why advertise?

We did carry our two e-bikes on the a tow bar carrier without a cover but they got filthy on long motorway/autobahn journeys when it was wet. They were also covered in dirt and dust when we went on long dusty tracks.

Someone we met on our travels recommended the high quality German made Hindermann range of bike covers. We subsequently purchased one and have not looked back. It stays on securely and it is best to get the extra pair of straps. These take up any slack in the cover and prevents any excessive flapping around. These cavers also pull up tightly around the base of the wheels minimising any grim getting up from below.

We have done over 6000 miles with it now and no sign of damage. Some details here: Bike Cover > Tow Ball > Bike Rack Bike Cover

Back