Coolant leak / Mystery - help!! SOS!!

Yea I'm trying to, if I can find the fault...this is why its taking ages...its already been in the garage with mechanic for over a week replacing head gasket ...

Yea I'm trying to, if I can find the fault...this is why its taking ages...its already been in the garage with mechanic for over a week replacing head gasket ...
Are you any further with this? My 204bhp is using lots of coolant now, no visible leaks anywhere but i'm topping it upto the Max mark on the bottle and withign 100 miles the Warning is on the dash again. It's getting looked at in a couple of weeks to get the head off and tested...........

I bit the bullet last week and had the EGR Cooler replaced. Now it’s just a waiting game to see if that has solved the issue.
I’ve replaced the follow;

Charge cooler
Coolant bottle and hoses
Water pump ( done when we did the cam belt)
EGR cooler

Please all pray for me that it’s finally fixed. It’s cost a bloody fortune.

Are you any further with this? My 204bhp is using lots of coolant now, no visible leaks anywhere but i'm topping it upto the Max mark on the bottle and withign 100 miles the Warning is on the dash again. It's getting looked at in a couple of weeks to get the head off and tested...........
Get the EGR cooler tested before taking the head off. It's more likely that

Get the EGR cooler tested before taking the head off. It's more likely that
We had the head and EGR tested. Both came back negative. Our mechanic said it may still be the EGR valve though. Given it was the only option left we had it replaced and it sorted the coolant guzzling problem. Two weeks later we had to have the mahle intercooler (pictured on this thread and can’t remember what the proper name is) replaced as well though as the engine totally lost power.
As everyone notes, it costs a bloody fortune £2k for us.
It’s been around 6 months now and fingers crossed still okay

See my reply above. We had exactly the same problem

*****UPDATE*****Found another garage who wanted to solve the problem and not just replace parts. He blanked off the EGR cooler (no charge). 1000 miles later..................................
still losing coolant. Decided to have a remap with an EGR delete (£390). After picking van back up mechy told me that he should have blanked 2 hoses off (which he completed) and seemed confident that this solve the issue as he reported coolant residue on the joint. Time to log up the miles and see if this has worked. Fingers crossed.

*****UPDATE*****Found another garage who wanted to solve the problem and not just replace parts. He blanked off the EGR cooler (no charge). 1000 miles later..................................
still losing coolant. Decided to have a remap with an EGR delete (£390). After picking van back up mechy told me that he should have blanked 2 hoses off (which he completed) and seemed confident that this solve the issue as he reported coolant residue on the joint. Time to log up the miles and see if this has worked. Fingers crossed.
Hi all, just bought a 2016 T6 150 last month. I have just had the coolant light come on yesterday after camping. I topped up and noticed the level had gone down a small amount again (100ml) after driving 100 miles. A brief look when home didn't show any visible leaks so I'm bracing myself for an expensive repair @BOOSHAN, was wondering how you got on with the Egr delete? If mine turns out to have a leak in the egr cooler, I was wondering if this would be a cheaper way of getting around the problem?

Hi all, just bought a 2016 T6 150 last month. I have just had the coolant light come on yesterday after camping. I topped up and noticed the level had gone down a small amount again (100ml) after driving 100 miles. A brief look when home didn't show any visible leaks so I'm bracing myself for an expensive repair @BOOSHAN, was wondering how you got on with the Egr delete? If mine turns out to have a leak in the egr cooler, I was wondering if this would be a cheaper way of getting around the problem?
Way cheaper if that's the issue. Initially the mechy only put 1 blanking plate in. He wanted to find the issue before charging me. I was still losing coolant at the same rate but decided to go for EGR delete and a remap anyway. He charged me £390 (BHP UK) and said he should of put 2 blanking plates in (which he has done) and is confident that is the issue as there was residue near one of the flanges. I'm 350 miles in and keeping an eye on the level. I'll wait till 1000 miles and I'll let you know.

Way cheaper if that's the issue. Initially the mechy only put 1 blanking plate in. He wanted to find the issue before charging me. I was still losing coolant at the same rate but decided to go for EGR delete and a remap anyway. He charged me £390 (BHP UK) and said he should of put 2 blanking plates in (which he has done) and is confident that is the issue as there was residue near one of the flanges. I'm 350 miles in and keeping an eye on the level. I'll wait till 1000 miles and I'll let you know.
Thanks for the update... I've booked the van in for diagnosing in 2 weeks with my local VW indy garage. The owner I spoke to said they start diagnosing by taking off the egr valve and pipes to look for coolant leaks as it is the most common cause - He's recently done 2 of them. I've gone from dreading the cost of a new egr cooler/valve to being grateful it's hopefully not the cylinder head. Anyway, after I'm sure of the cause I will look into bypassing and mapping out the egr or biting the bullet and paying for a replacement.

Mine seems to be all sorted now, done 1500 miles since i got it back and never lost any coolant yet where as the warning was coming on every 150-200 miles. New EGR Cooler sorted it :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update... I've booked the van in for diagnosing in 2 weeks with my local VW indy garage. The owner I spoke to said they start diagnosing by taking off the egr valve and pipes to look for coolant leaks as it is the most common cause - He's recently done 2 of them. I've gone from dreading the cost of a new egr cooler/valve to being grateful it's hopefully not the cylinder head. Anyway, after I'm sure of the cause I will look into bypassing and mapping out the egr or biting the bullet and paying for a replacement.
1500 miles in and there is still coolant in the tank. Not a drop lost. EGR delete all the way :waving:

If they find out then yes it’s a fail as it’s no longer a Euro 6 compliant engine.

That would require a delete practitioner to reveal their trade secret!

I’ve never seen it myself but would expect the blanking plate to be visible as an extra shim or gasket on some pipe work. To the untrained eye very difficult to spot but to those that are familiar with the engine pipe work I would think it could be spotted, especially if the blanking plate is a different metal or a bit shiny and new.

That would require a delete practitioner to reveal their trade secret!

I’ve never seen it myself but would expect the blanking plate to be visible as an extra shim or gasket on some pipe work. To the untrained eye very difficult to spot but to those that are familiar with the engine pipe work I would think it could be spotted, especially if the blanking plate is a different metal or a bit shiny and new.
You could quickly remove the blanking plates prior to mot if you wished. Then the only change is ecu which they deffo won’t see.

My van (150ps) went in for investigation, it was left on pressure test for about 30hrs and dropped a negligible amount. The mechanic said if it’s losing coolant it’s not bad enough to spot easily so keep driving it until it gets worse. 1,200 miles later and it hasn’t lost any, so weird as the coolant dropped from normal max level down to fully empty triggering the coolant light in September so the coolant went somewhere. There must be a pixie in there drinking it occasionally!
My coolant loss has just stepped up a gear, it’s now dropping about 100ml per 100 miles.

I’ve noticed some contamination around the EGR return pipe so now expect the cooler to be the culprit. The contamination is not really oily, it’s sort of wet to the touch and I can imagine it’s a mixture of exhaust and the coolant.

Time to get it booked in. Does anyone have any idea on the usual replacement cost?

BE389354-85EA-44BA-8EA1-1A93593D9325.jpeg

25AE5F6E-3069-47FD-8C2B-2614978BC2F5.jpeg

Quick question re leakage.... would anyone recommend a sealant like K Seal for one of these leaks? Needing to top up the reservoir about once every 1000-1500 miles and can't find any evidence of a leak...

Back