Coolant leak - TSI

Shaun Witts

Ski Bus
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I had a low coolant warning the other day, and the header tank was almost empty. There was no obvious signs of a leak, so I topped it up and checked the level over the next few drives (only short thankfully). As the level continued to drop, I’ve just taken the under tray off, to discover a small pool of coolant on it - so, definitely a leak then. But from where? There were signs under the sump but it was hard to tell where from so I took it for a short drive to get it fully warmed up and then traced the pink fluid as high as I could.
It appears to be coming from somewhere above the front engine mount:
IMG_8618.jpeg

But the highest point I could locate any pink fluid was this Allen bolt just above that mount:
IMG_8642.jpeg

This is looking up at an angle from underneath, and that bolt appears vertical.

Remember this is a TSI, but does anyone have any suggestions as to the culprit?
Is it likely to be the pump?

Thanks for any help.

Edit:
And a more important question - Am I likely to do any harm if I continue to drive it (& keep the coolant topped up)?

Last edited:
Tried to book it in at my nearest dealer today (Swansway, Preston) and the earliest they can do a diagnostic check is 22nd June! That is ridiculous.
Thankfully they checked at another Swansway location and I’ve got it booked in at Liverpool on the 4th May, which is a lot better. That’s just a diagnostic check though, but I hope it’s possible to fix it at the same time.

Tried to book it in at my nearest dealer today (Swansway, Preston) and the earliest they can do a diagnostic check is 22nd June! That is ridiculous.
Thankfully they checked at another Swansway location and I’ve got it booked in at Liverpool on the 4th May, which is a lot better. That’s just a diagnostic check though, but I hope it’s possible to fix it at the same time.
If it's not under warranty I wouldn't waste any more time on dealers, I'd look for a good independent garage, there's every chance that it's a simple fix, waiting until 22nd June isn't something I could live with.

The water pump and thermostat housing would be the first area to check. They are made from far too much plastic which goes brittle and cracks. Known weak point on EA888 engines. Odds-on you have an EA888 gen 2. There are all-metal replacements available if you want to upgrade.

The water pump and thermostat housing would be the first area to check. They are made from far too much plastic which goes brittle and cracks. Known weak point on EA888 engines. Odds-on you have an EA888 gen 2. There are all-metal replacements available if you want to upgrade.
Thanks, I shall follow that suggestion up.

So the Liverpool Van Centre have diagnosed a leaking coolant pump, but were unable to get one in time to repair it on Friday, so here’s hoping that they get one for Tuesday.
However, I was informed that a new seal is needed when fitting the pump, and as they were not sure whether the new pump came with a new seal or not, they decided to order one as well, just in case (good planning really, so well done there). Unfortunately, new seals are not available at the moment and are on back order, so if the new pump does not come with one it looks like I’ll have to wait - or look for an upgraded replacement, as suggested by @nealfairfield.
I’ll certainly be fitting an upgraded one if it fails again.

So the Liverpool Van Centre have diagnosed a leaking coolant pump, but were unable to get one in time to repair it on Friday, so here’s hoping that they get one for Tuesday.
However, I was informed that a new seal is needed when fitting the pump, and as they were not sure whether the new pump came with a new seal or not, they decided to order one as well, just in case (good planning really, so well done there). Unfortunately, new seals are not available at the moment and are on back order, so if the new pump does not come with one it looks like I’ll have to wait - or look for an upgraded replacement, as suggested by @nealfairfield.
I’ll certainly be fitting an upgraded one if it fails again.
You’d think a VW Dealer Parts Dept has access to the Bill of Material from VW showing the sub-components.

Thankfully the new pump did come with the required seal, and it’s all fixed now for a cost of £800 (including the diagnosis).

Back