Connecting awning to van

Lee

T6 Pro
So I'm thinking of buying the Vango Galli, pretty new to it all, can't figure out if there is anything that need to connect it to the van, some sites mention needing Figure of 8/Kador Strip Drive-Away Kit, though I can't then tell if there needs to be something on the roof of my van.

Appreciate any help.

Oh and figure of 8 adopter is a must for getting enough movement to get it into the rail too

It sounds like a Reimo rail is the way to go, though will have to save up a bit for it.

Have checked the Vango pitching instructions for the Galli and it mentions this:

Attach the AirAway to your vehicle using one of the 4 available options:
  1. Kador - The AirAway comes fited with a 6mm kador strip. This can be slid directly into a kador rail on the vehicle but Vango recomends using figure eight strips and an extra kador adaptor (sold separately) to ensure the kador fits snuggly and to provide flexibility when driving the vehicle away whilst the AirAway is pitched.
  2. Webbing Straps - Remove the supplied webbing straps from the peg bag and clip into the corresponding buckles on the rear of the AirAway roof. Pass the straps over the roof of the vehicle and peg into the ground. Adjust the straps to fully tension the roof.
  3. Hook & Loop Tabs - Use the pre-attached hook & loop tabs to connect to the roof bars of your vehicle.
  4. Pole & Clamp - Slide the pole into the sleeve at the top of the rear section of the AirAway. Place the pole and fabric into the gutter on the vehicle and use the clamps to secure at both ends and in the centre.

So it sounds like 2 is just straps over the roof, how hard can that be, if only short term, can anyone advice, just wanna get out there and enjoy it.

Chucking the straps over the van is ok for short term but personally I don't like the idea of the straps over the roof of the van as they may mark the paint. I think they are basically large guide ropes, more like storm ones. I've got Reimo rail and kandor figure of 8 and it's a piece of p to fit and unfit!

Another attachment option is having a Fiamma wind out awning attached to the van - these include a channel that you can use to attach a driveway awning via beading and figure of 8. More expensive but would give you another option for outdoor space/cover for shorter stops.

Thats the way i do it plus you can extend out the awning and have a nice bit of open space between your van and the awning Its up to you and gives you a bit of privacy if you have people in the awning The plus is that its so easy to connect to the fiamma but bear in mind that the fiamma is 4mm on the awning so you will still need a kador 6 to 4mm and a figure 8 if the awning you buy is a 6mm

Vango sell a kit that includes the 6mm to 4mm conversion strip and the figure of 8 - had it sat in my dining room, together with the Kela III awning and footprint we bought, for about 6 months now - just need the van to go with it all!! lol

I went out and today and bought the Reimo rail, they fitted it to.

I have the vango galli awning delivered next week, does anyone know if there is anything else I need to set off, in the pitching guide us says:

• Kador - The AirAway comes fited with a 6mm kador strip. This can be slid directly into a kador rail on the vehicle but Vango recomends using figure eight strips and an extra kador adaptor (sold

separately) to ensure the kador fits snuggly and to provide flexibility when driving the vehicle away whilst the AirAway is pitched.

Does that mean there is more stuff I need to get, might need to remortgage at this rate.

Depends if you want to use as a driveway or not; you could attach the awning direct to the Reimo rail but you would have to slide it in which would make it hard to detach without unpegging the awning to give you enough movement. Using an figure of 8 and extra kador adapter will mean you can just slide the kador adaptor and/or figure of 8 out to drive away.

@Lee, as above, the figure of 8 and extra Kandor works real well

You've got the rail and the kandor on the edge of the awning so it's just the bits in the middle you need.

image.jpeg

@Lee another benefit of the Reimo rail, that I hadn't realised before, is that it doubles up as a gutter and should stop your passengers getting dripped on when they open the door ( you might want to even it up with one down the other side as well!?)

Back