Confused N1 or M1

VioletVW

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Could do with some guidance here.

I've ordered a T6.1, T30, 150 DSG highline kombi with extra windows in the rear side panels.

Speaking with a dealer this morning, he said that I will be liable for £1800 tax in the first year then £500+ each year for the first 5 years after that. All because of the extra windows.

Is he correct?

He said it would be registered as a car like Caravelles and Shuttles and not a van. Are those massive tax costs what the new owners of shuttles and carvelles pay?? Seems excessive!

I would prefer factory windows but if the classification changes then that makes a huge difference to costs over the next 5 years. He also mentioned that the high tax costs are due to the vehicle being worth over £40000....

Van - N1
Car - M1

Can anyone shed some light on this as I was not aware of any of this previously.

I think it is correct.

Another option would be to order the Kombi without the extra windows and then get some OEM windows fitted. It would certainly be cheaper.

Over 40K and you pay the extra tax...

First year 'on the road' fee is usually paid by the dealer though in most cases...

Untitled.jpg

I think it is correct.

Another option would be to order the Kombi without the extra windows and then get some OEM windows fitted. It would certainly be cheaper.

Yes, that seems the sensible option. I just thought that I want windows and to save hacking open a new van it is easier to get them done at the factory.

Back to the drawing board.

There was no mention of the first year being paid by them.....

I will send off an email to the dealer for.....

There is more chance of them leaking from the factory as well.....

Really! I know the sliding window is sketchy but assumed that a fixed window would be safe territory.. Maybe not such a good option then.

Out of interest, why do you want rear side windows in a Kombi?

It's going to the family wagon replacing my passat. I will put one or two seats in the 3rd row.

Have you requested third row floor fixtures or sliders or are you doing all that aftermarket? as they dont come in a Kombi as standard. Also the taxation class comes from the factory so if you dont have the extra windows you wont get the M1 classification AFAIK

No, not requested extra seats, was going to add them myself at a later date.

Can you ask for those to be installed as an extra in a kombi?

So I emailed my dealer directly, after hearing about the additional costs if the Kombi is classed as a car when it has extra factory windows, and she replied with:

'It is still classed as a commercial vehicle not a passenger vehicle'

The dealer who I spoke with earlier was following up on a quote from earlier in the week and then mentioned the classification.

What happens if my dealer is wrong and the other dealer is right......

I haven’t done the sums myself but ordering a Kombi and then adding rear quarter glass plus 3rd row seating is basically a Shuttle but without the extra soundproofing that you get in a Shuttle as standard. We use ours as a family car as well so the extra heating in the back and reading lights galore is all good stuff for the passengers in the rear, all of those bits are standard in a Shuttle.

What’s stopping you from ordering a Shuttle?

When I did the config on a new shuttle adding the extras I wanted it came out at several grand more.

~£54000 for the shuttle and ~£47000 for the Kombi.

When I did the config on a new shuttle adding the extras I wanted it came out at several grand more.

~£54000 for the shuttle and ~£47000 for the Kombi.
Ah ha! So you have done the numbers, I didn’t realise there would be such a big difference.

Admittedly that's for the shuttle SE but that has more of the toys I want.

It would be nice to start with a shuttle. The extra speakers, soundproofing and seats would save me lots of little jobs.

I've read that second hand shuttles aren't too expensive but I'm after a 6.1 as I really like the fortana red. Most shuttles I've seen are silver, grey or black and many don't have power sliding doors.

Admittedly that's for the shuttle SE but that has more of the toys I want.

It would be nice to start with a shuttle. The extra speakers, soundproofing and seats would save me lots of little jobs.

I've read that second hand shuttles aren't too expensive but I'm after a 6.1 as I really like the fortana red. Most shuttles I've seen are silver, grey or black and many don't have power sliding doors.
It’s odd because second hand the Kombi’s tend to be more expensive, Shuttles are good value second hand.

Back