Coilovers set at different levels but van sits right.

It looks like the second pic has the adjuster put in upside down to me. I mean it's tricky to see but looks like it's been wound to the bottom of the thread but then placed on the spring arse about tit, if that makes sense? I did that when i took my rears out to adjust then noticed they were sat at different levels so took out and adjusted.

What i mean is rotate the bit i've circled 180⁰ that way they are both wound right down and both sets of adjuster rings will be flush against the floor of van

20210322_230008.jpg

I think it’s just the picture they are both the same way up just wound up/down differently

On race cars they set something called corner weight. Basically the car is like a four legged wobbly chair and the adjustable platforms are used to fine tune the weight on each wheel to stop the wobble IYSMIM. Aim is to match axles left and right. Perfect race set up is all four wheels having very similar weights on them. I think less critical for perfect weight distribution in a van :)

Have you checked the fronts to see how they are set? I wonder if the diagonally opposite corner is set incorrectly?

Ian

Last edited:
Surely the effectively "longer" spring is carrying most of the weight of the rear half of the van in the same way it briefly would when mounting a kerb, this surely would be pre loading that spring?
Jack it up, adjust both springs to a mid setting, then after a short drive park the car on a level slab and measure to the wheel arches... on another tack, the van hasn't been in a shunt at all?

On race cars they set something called corner weight. Basically the car is like a four legged wobbly chair and the adjustable platforms are used to fine tune the weight on each wheel to stop the wobble IYSMIM. Aim is to match axles left and right. Perfect race set up is all four wheels having very similar weights on them. I think less critical for perfect weight distribution in a van :)

Have you checked the fronts to see how they are set? I wonder if the diagonally opposite corner is set incorrectly?

Ian
I’ll look later but I think the fronts are set the same

Surely the effectively "longer" spring is carrying most of the weight of the rear half of the van in the same way it briefly would when mounting a kerb, this surely would be pre loading that spring?
Jack it up, adjust both springs to a mid setting, then after a short drive park the car on a level slab and measure to the wheel arches... on another tack, the van hasn't been in a shunt at all?
At the moment it all measures the same height to the arch, but that is my plan to adjust them the same and see what happens from there. No it hasn’t been in a shunt it was fine in b14’s

Apparently they changed the springs from one side to the other, I’ve emailed transporter hq this afternoon and this was they’re reply

Thats not right then. I’d ask them to adjust them level.

Thats really random, I’ve never seen that before. “

Which I thought from day one but was told it was normal??
As I’ve probably already said I had b14’s on before these and they were set the same so it can’t be the van? I might just try and adjust them myself and see what happens
Loosen the bottom shock bolts and let the shock dangle free it should be short to cope with the excessive drops that kit does , if it is you wont turn the adjuster as there will be spring force on it .

I have a set of cornerweighting scales if you really want to get the setup right, it may take a while to do the adjustments though

Update, it’s going back where they were fit for investigation on Saturday morning so I’ll report back

I'm guessing they'll probably take a size 10 boot and try adjusting someone's backside with it after sorting out the spring.:unsure:

I'm guessing they'll probably take a size 10 boot and try adjusting someone's backside with it after sorting out the spring.:unsure:
Probably not, they still say that it’s perfectly fine ?? We’ll see Saturday

So I’ve been back to the garage this morning, different fitter agreed it didn’t look right, I suggested he lowered the adjuster that was set 30mm different , I measured the bottom of wheel to arch gap before they were both measuring 600mm, he wound the adjuster up 30mm so they were both set at the lowest setting and guess what, as if by magic the van is now sitting level at 575mm which goes to show the one side was clearly holding the other side up. I knew it wasn’t right in my own head just glad it’s sorted. Cheers everyone for your help and opinions :thumbsup:

I hope he gave a massage to the poor spring that had been doing all the lifting plus will we be seeing you on the "does my rear looks like it's sagging now?" thread on Loose Women?

So I’ve been back to the garage this morning, different fitter agreed it didn’t look right, I suggested he lowered the adjuster that was set 30mm different , I measured the bottom of wheel to arch gap before they were both measuring 600mm, he wound the adjuster up 30mm so they were both set at the lowest setting and guess what, as if by magic the van is now sitting level at 575mm which goes to show the one side was clearly holding the other side up. I knew it wasn’t right in my own head just glad it’s sorted. Cheers everyone for your help and opinions :thumbsup:
Glad you’ve got it all sorted. If one side was levelling out the other, that could’ve been very unsafe and an accident waiting to happen.... just imagine the forces going through that wheel and tyre! :thumbsup:

So in Layman’s if I was going to lower my adjustable suspension I’d start with them at the top and then lower each side a couple of turns each rather than whacking one side down in one hit and then doing the other?

So in Layman’s if I was going to lower my adjustable suspension I’d start with them at the top and then lower each side a couple of turns each rather than whacking one side down in one hit and then doing the other?
You don't need to step them down like that if your making a big adjustment, just do one side and do the other.

It's easier with both wheels off the floor at similar heights, stops the anti roll bar preloading.

Back