Coil springs - no spacing

Jacko999

Just got my t6 it’s had cobra springs fitted all round on the rear the coils in the middle are all touching each other is this right

Assuming the vehicle is parked on fairly level ground in the photo, the spring cannot perform its function, i.e. to compress, so no, not right, not right at all!

If you can post some photos it would help people offer advice.

Pete
Hi thanks just put a pic on for you to see
Assuming the vehicle is parked on fairly level ground in the photo, the spring cannot perform its function, i.e. to compress, so no, not right, not right at all!
hi yes was level in a garage over the pit and that was how they were sitting but was told from the person I bought it from said there is nothing wrong with them so I have now changed them for original ones . Many thanks

FYI:

this is a pic of OEM factory Sportline springs -30mm from standard.

1595581447796.png

I’ve had cobra springs pretty sure they didn’t look like that though! @BognorMotors took mine off maybe he can shed some light if that looks right. To me it doesn’t .. the ones I’ve got now look more like @Dellmassive

maybe the van was over weight for the springset installed (load in the back?)

causeing the spring to compress and close up the middle section . . . ?

looks like is still some movement at the top and bottom "pigtail" . . .

but im sure that was a very crashy ride before swapping them out?

This is correct.
The middle coils are wound to be weaker and the outer coils are wound stronger to hold the van up.
Lowering springs like this are ok to get the van lower, but don't give a very linear axle movement.
You'll see from Dellmassives photo, that the Eibach -30 springs are not coilbound and as such, give a much more linear and smooth axle travel.
The H&R springs are the same, and that is why, when fitted to an empty van, you get a knocking noise.

This is correct.
The middle coils are wound to be weaker and the outer coils are wound stronger to hold the van up.
Lowering springs like this are ok to get the van lower, but don't give a very linear axle movement.
You'll see from Dellmassives photo, that the Eibach -30 springs are not coil bound and as such, give a much more linear and smooth axle travel.
The H&R springs are the same, and that is why, when fitted to an empty van, you get a knocking noise.
Correct or not, the middle coils cannot be compressed because they're coil bound even on a stationary vehicle, (I'm assuming there's not 900Kg in the back of the van!) therefore they can't do their job. I can't see how the small amount of flex provided by the coils at the top and bottom of the spring can offer much in the way of travel, the ride must be horrible!! If it were my van they'd be heading for the bin!

Slid under mine earlier.. just!! I know it’s a different spring but here is a photo of mine not really sure if it’s going to help but at least you can see.

AACF879F-FF54-4079-8A62-85BBD031BC47.jpeg

Correct or not, the middle coils cannot be compressed because they're coil bound even on a stationary vehicle, (I'm assuming there's not 900Kg in the back of the van!) therefore they can't do their job. I can't see how the small amount of flex provided by the coils at the top and bottom of the spring can offer much in the way of travel, the ride must be horrible!! If it were my van they'd be heading for the bin!
The only way the springs can offer more travel when fully compressed is to have less coils, this is the case with the genuine and Eibach springs and why the travel is ramps up slower.
I had these Cobra springs AND H&R springs fitted to my empty kombi, and you can feel how fast the suspension ramps up on the rear under compression compered to the, now fitted, Eibach springs. (albeit, the Cobra and H&R springs were 40mm drop and Eibachs were 30mm).
I'll fish the springs out a photo them.

Both theses springs are 40mm drop. The left hand side one is the Cobra (painted black) and has one more coil than the H&R.

Both springs have tape on the coils that are softer wound and be one coil bound during use.

If you add up the spring travel outside these bound coils, you will see they both add up to about the same amount.

IMG_20200725_124457711_HDR.jpgIMG_20200725_124838345_HDR.jpgIMG_20200725_124831095_HDR.jpgIMG_20200725_124847360_HDR.jpgIMG_20200725_124842111.jpg

Hi everyone who helped me with the spring situation I did email cobra in Holland and they came back to me saying they a correct many thanks to everyone

Reactions: .50
Back