Close to buying a T6 Caravelle LWB - few questions

MGT

Hi

Close to buying a year old T6 Caravelle, 150 with DSG and LWB.

Has a nice spec (not fully loaded but I don't like too many extra electrical bits to go wrong ie power doors, seats etc) and 7k on the clock.

Comes with Std halogen lights I think, are they any good? Are the bulbs easy to access (bugbear of mine if they take dislocating wrists to change bulbs!)

Any know niggles with the 150 / DSG?

I've wanted one for so many years but drove a T5 a few years ago and it seems the T6 is so much better - maybe the T5 I drove was lowered but the new ones seems much more composed.

Also anyone driven in the snow 2wd with proper winter / snow tyres? Don't need 4WD where I live but we want to head to the alps etc a few times a year so wondered if OK, DSG doesn't seem to have a winter setting.

The Caravelle should have H7 lights which are okay.
And 4motion isn't just handy in snow; it's handy in all conditions. No understeer, no torque steer, just traction.

Yes just been reading a forum here re the H7 looks OK.

Well if a similar spec one had 4motion I would choose that over a 2wd but there isn't and I'm not prepared to order a new to get my ultimate spec Caravelle.

This has shed 10k+ in a year so a better buy than a new one for me. Money no object would be a different matter of course :)

In snow, the tyres are more important than 4WD. If you put proper winter tyres on you should be fine.
Check out some youtube videos that put this to the test:

Amazing! Thanks
You can get all weather tyres now that are virtually as good as winter only tyres.

I cannot recommend enough Nokian 235/60/17 SUV Wetherproof tyres. They are absolutely brilliant in all conditions, got 8k miles on now and still got over 7mm of tread left on. Use them all year round

Nokian Weatherproof SUV 235/60 R17 106H XL BSW - mytyres.co.uk

I've had a Vel for 13 years now, love love love them.

those tyres seem like a great idea, thanks chris - handy not to store a set of wheels with tyres

those tyres seem like a great idea, thanks chris - handy not to store a set of wheels with tyres
You are clearly right about the T6 Vel being better, it is a completely different vehicle to drive than a T5; I just love being "King of the Road" when driving it
Are you getting close to pushing the button on a T6 Vel?

Last edited:
Sure am, just waiting for the dealer to come back to me on PX, its one of those fcuk it purchases, I can over think the whole thing but in the end if I don't enjoy it its done it big depreciation, nice spec it will sell again. Fed up squeezing my bike in my boot, shite weather its awkward to get changed blah blah blah. OK I don't want to line it with mud but I can protect all those things. And our 3 children are finding my wifes Espace a bit cramped for trips to the alps. It just ticks so many boxes. I think we will surprise ourselves how useful it will be. Really don't care I'm paying a bit of a premium for it - you have to enjoy life!

Sure am, just waiting for the dealer to come back to me on PX, its one of those fcuk it purchases, I can over think the whole thing but in the end if I don't enjoy it its done it big depreciation, nice spec it will sell again. Fed up squeezing my bike in my boot, shite weather its awkward to get changed blah blah blah. OK I don't want to line it with mud but I can protect all those things. And our 3 children are finding my wifes Espace a bit cramped for trips to the alps. It just ticks so many boxes. I think we will surprise ourselves how useful it will be. Really don't care I'm paying a bit of a premium for it - you have to enjoy life!

Hi,
You are bang on right with your thoughts about your new van.
Done exactly the same last Thursday. Went for a 150ps Highline just 9 months old.
fed up trying to work from the back of a small van.
We're a long time dead so enjoy while we can.
All the best on your new bus.
Scot

Yes its going to be great, daughter very excited too. Managed to get a retractable tow bar fitted in the deal so all bases covered when it comes to trips.

Back