Clay bar and detailing

CRD

T6 Guru
So, as the delivery date grows ever closer for my Kombi in blackberry (first week in September), I have started wasting spending my hard-earned on cleaning and detailing products.

So far I have bought-
  • micro-fibre wash mitt
  • Demon shine snow foam
  • Demon shine tyre shine
  • Armor-all wheel seal
  • T-Cut clay bar, wax and glaze
  • Auto Glym paint seal
  • Demo shine wheel cleaner
...and a few other odds-and-sods....

So, my question is this, is it worth clay-barring and sealing a van from new or am I unlikely to see any benefit?

P.S, I have not been this excited about getting a new vehicle in a LOOOONG time :rofl:

It will have delivery miles on it so a quick clay bar certainly won't harm anything.

I'm going to do it on mine before I gyeon it's ass.

Reactions: CRD
Definatley I've got some auto finesse iron out for mine when it arrives, then some blackfire all finish paint protection and topped off with blackfire midnight sun wax should bead like a good one :)

Reactions: CRD
Yep, mines been clayed and waxed.... Ps clay mit is sooooo much easier to use than clay bar. :thumbsup::thumbsup::whistle:

Yep, mines been clayed and waxed.... Ps clay mit is sooooo much easier to use than clay bar. :thumbsup::thumbsup::whistle:
I'm a clay virgin so this is all new to me. I'm hoping as a new van that it shouldn't be too labour intensive and I may even enjoy the process in a masochistic type of way.

Doing mine next week.

Will defo be using a clay bar and also iron remover on paintwork. Then once happy 1 stage paint correction then strip paint work with cleanser then seal with either nanolex or gtechnic

Reactions: HHO
Clayed mine with 50 miles on the clock. Amazed how much crap it lifted off. You will only need a very fine clay from new to avoid paint marring. Something like Bilt Hamber Fine etc. Some clays need a lube solution, some only water. I tend to use a tar remover first, something like Iron X second, then clay third so it has the least work to do.

image.jpeg

Clayed mine with 50 miles on the clock. Amazed how much crap it lifted off. You will only need a very fine clay from new to avoid paint marring. Something like Bilt Hamber Fine etc. Some clays need a lube solution, some only water. I tend to use a tar remover first, something like Iron X second, then clay third so it has the least work to do.

View attachment 729
Great stuff

After seeing all this talk of clay-bars, I thought it was about time I went over mine and used the black light stuff I got from the clb-detailing guys that were at the VW show in Tatton. A very helpful lady told me what was best to get for my van, and today I spent a happy couple of hours claying and using that stuff (which by the way, smells incredible!). I am by no means an experienced detailer but it worked really well I thought!
image.jpeg

@Walski sorry, just remembered your question. They're 245/45 on 18's. I prefer the slightly smaller wheel 'look' and associated ride quality, although some of the 20" people are finding are stunning!

Back