Chips away

PukkaT6

Pukka Insurance
T6 Legend
So my van was delivered with a stone chip and dent. Just had an email from Chips Away who I can only presume do an onsite repair.

my question is should I be asking for a fully respray of bonnet or will they be able to sort it to the same standard. I will be honest Im not big on repairs that are not in bodyshop.

We have a couple of Chips Away members on here that can put your mind to rest..

Im own the Chipsaway franchise in Nottingham.
There is nothing wrong with doing a repair outside. The materials used are identical to a bodyshop, not every bodyshop repair is done in a spray booth, a lot are done in a workshop floor. Only difference being outside is the weather, dust can be minimal depending on environment and how still the air is, air movement is a good thing to keep dust away. I do on average 3 repairs a day all outside for the last 6 years.

Now there are limits. Bonnets and roofs and full sides are really a body shop repair due to the size with exceptions. On bonnets dust is more likely to settle and it's difficult to cure lacquer off on very large repairs without an oven.

Chipsaway is a franchise so some are strictly mobile like me, some have car care centres and some have full spray booth bodyshops.
On a bonnets it will need the whole bonnet repainting, ie damage repaired, colour blended across the bonnet and then fully relacquered. This would be a bodyshop job so see if the Chipsaway franchisee has a bodyshop.
Depending on bonnet design you can paint to a swage line so it is possible.

Get some pictures up.

I've had some work done by chips-away on my old car, honestly nothing to worry about, they know what their doing, first class work

So my van was delivered with a stone chip and dent. Just had an email from Chips Away who I can only presume do an onsite repair.

my question is should I be asking for a fully respray of bonnet or will they be able to sort it to the same standard. I will be honest Im not big on repairs that are not in bodyshop.
So why are you fixing it? Send it back, tell the dealer to fix it. If I was given a brand new van with a dent I'd be rejecting it. Gawd only knows what company are responsible for getting these vans to the dealers, but there seems to be a significant number of them that are dented/ scratched when their new owners pick them up.

Stone chips happen, just a shame thats all. The window and seats that need replacing is another story. The long and short though is after 5 months they aint taking it anywhere.

Fyi - Chips away are the company the dealer has instruced to fix it

Back