Cheap VCDS - what’s going on?

CJW

2016 T6.0 T32 SL-to-Camper
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Since I appear to live in the middle of a VCDS user desert, I looked into buying VCDS. Straight from Ross-Tech it’s straight forward. However, being a proper Yorkshireman, I also looked on FB marketplace and eBay. What’s the deal with the surplus of £40 Hex2 connector cables? Are they… of questionable legitimacy… shall we say?

They are Chinese cloans, fakes etc.

They run with a specific hacked version of the vcds software. They are unofficial and can't be updated.

They are not advised or recommended.

Genuine VCDS had full upgrade support.

If you want a cheap VCDS option keep an eye out on eBay for an official cable with a spare VIN in the license.

They are Chinese cloans, fakes etc.

They run with a specific hacked version of the vcds software. They are unofficial and can't be updated.

They are not advised or recommended.

Genuine VCDS had full upgrade support.

If you want a cheap VCDS option keep an eye out on eBay for an official cable with a spare VIN in the license.
All correct but these clones can be easily modified and then they will work with all software versions. Meaning that they can be updated. But having said so I would always encourage all potential buyers to go for genuine Ross-Tech tool(3 VIN is the cheapest approach). These people deserve this money for the amazing product and the support they provide.

Being a technology dumbass, can someone provide a link to the Ross tech product :)

Back