Part No SW: 04L 906 056 LR HW: 04L 907 445 A
Component: R4 2.0l BTD H03 9776
Revision: 23101001
Coding: 0025401C430401080000
Shop #: WSC 00012 790 50316
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20BTD03004L906056LR 004006
ROD: N/A
VCID: 081F2D27B33332C65B-805C

Unsupported vehicle.Please upgrade to a current Ross-Tech interface.
No ASAM data for: "EV_ECM20BTD03004L906056LR" ()

No fault code found.
Readiness: N/A

What could have changed to trigger the unsupported vehicle bit in red?
I reinstalled VCDS a few times to see if this changed things.
It didn't.

Anyone know what might have changed to go from working to not working?
All modules have the same text after them now.

Thanks

Confession time, it is a clone. And to be honest, it didn't access the engine module like I needed it too, but then neither could someone who bought the 20.4.2 genuine version. I'd be really annoyed if that was me, but then the support would be there to try and sort it. However, my clone did everything else I needed it to do.

However, I doubt registering is my issue. The way I understand they work is that it is genuine software, and to my untrained eye it 'looks' like a genuine cable too, but you get a new .exe file, so it bypasses the security. I've also kept it off the internet when in use so there can be no inadvertent comms or update. I appreciate it's 'hooky', but still annoying it's stopped working.

I have contacted Pauly about hiring the group one though to sort my coding issue, the above is more out of curiosity really.

Thanks

Ah... maybe that is one explanation... but i don't know how pirate copies work or behave...

I only raised the registering possibility as my VCDS i bought genuine through Gendan and you have to register it after a few uses or it stops behaving.

Hope you get it sorted one way or another...

clone cables are normally locked to the version they are supplied with. (and obviously not authorised with VCDS)

if you had a "clone" install and updated the software that would normally start to cause issues, (something to do with the hardware key check, as the supplied version is normally cracked/hacked to work only with that cable and version)

best course of action. . . . . buy a Genuine cable and dont bother with the fakes.

VCDS do a great job and ultimately deserve the royalty from genuine cables.

TECH:

I have contacted Pauly about hiring the group one though to sort my coding issue,
I'm afraid it won't work either - unless it has been recently updated to HEX-V2 (or HEX-NET). Older ones just can't do T6/T6.1 EU6 engines.

I'm afraid it won't work either - unless it has been recently updated to HEX-V2 (or HEX-NET). Older ones just can't do T6 EU6 engines.
I thought it was the 2019> versions that need the HEX-V2?

I thought it was the 2019> versions that need the HEX-V2?
Here and there started to be issues even before 2019 as VW had started gradually move to use enhanced messaging protocol. This T6 EU6 engine is obviously one of the early ones.
2019 is just "hard limit" decided by Ross-Tech to stop even to try support newer models with their older products.

I've had a couple of clones worked ok at first then started playing up,last one didnt show a fault with my turbo actuator on my previous T5.1
bought a genuine one showed fault on first scan

I'm afraid it won't work either - unless it has been recently updated to HEX-V2 (or HEX-NET). Older ones just can't do T6/T6.1 EU6 engines.
@mmi Really? That's disappointing.
Mine is a Jan 2019. I have been told it may not have 'full functionality', but in the context of VCDS i don't really know what that means, so was going to give it a go. Are you 100% sure it wont work?

clone cables are normally locked to the version they are supplied with. (and obviously not authorised with VCDS)

if you had a "clone" install and updated the software that would normally start to cause issues, (something to do with the hardware key check, as the supplied version is normally cracked/hacked to work only with that cable and version)

best course of action. . . . . buy a Genuine cable and dont bother with the fakes.

VCDS do a great job and ultimately deserve the royalty from genuine cables.

@Dellmassive I get all that, but i've not done anything to cause these issues, and still using same software and cable that worked last weekend. It's just stopped working. And Bullracing bought original cable and it wouldn't access engine control module either. I'm not prepared to take a £225 chance.

Thanks

@mmi Really? That's disappointing.
Mine is a Jan 2019. I have been told it may not have 'full functionality', but in the context of VCDS i don't really know what that means, so was going to give it a go. Are you 100% sure it wont work?
Based on the linked Ross-Tech thread - it was verified that the old cable didn't work and the new HEX-V2 works for T6 EU6.
I have to say that I find a bit confusing why it didn't work for @bullracing
1608500903024.png

but i've not done anything to cause these issues, and still using same software and cable that worked last weekend. It's just stopped working.
I'm afraid Ross-Tech has wickedly put some hidden slow pace handshaking with the cable in their (now cracked) software. o_O

Thanks @mmi

I have no issue buying the real thing if I 'know' it will do the job. But Bullracings comments concerned me right at the point where I was going to place the order. So effectively i've now spent an extra £35 that I didn't need to... :rolleyes:
Live and learn...
Thanks

Reactions: mmi
Based on the linked Ross-Tech thread - it was verified that the old cable didn't work and the new HEX-V2 works for T6 EU6.
I have to say that I find a bit confusing why it didn't work for @bullracing
View attachment 95852

Yes it didnt with the new software. I was able to access my 2016 engine module no problem before but then I updated the software as you would do and I lost access. TBH I find that very naughty of Ross Tech especially with no warning. That is basically like apple sending updates that cause the battery to run poorly to force you to buy the latest phone but in this case the latest version of the cable.

Yes it didnt with the new software. I was able to access my 2016 engine module no problem before but then I updated the software as you would do and I lost access. TBH I find that very naughty of Ross Tech especially with no warning. That is basically like apple sending updates that cause the battery to run poorly to force you to buy the latest phone but in this case the latest version of the cable.
@bullracing Have you tried updating to 20.12? Or is that what you updated too and got the issue?

my hex can works fine on my early 2017 eu6 but not on my bosses later 2017 and early 2018 eu6 vans.

Reactions: mmi
Back