changing the van layout or buy a crafter ?

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
We've had the van for 6 years now and for a while we have been discussing that we'd like more sleeping space. Our current set up is the 112cm R&R bed with kitchen units down the side. Our thoughts are
1...........rip out the interior, fit a full width RIB bed and a small kitchen pod. Would this de-value the van and is the 112 bed and kitchen units a preferred set up for people ?
2...........sell the van and buy a mwb Crafter, fit a large bed & shower etc....
3...........I don't want to say this on this group but sell the van and buy a motorhome :oops: i cant help but notice that you seem to get a lot more for your money compared to a VW.

We agree about the 112 bed size, but it seemed the most common and was what we got when buying a converted van. The swb van is my daily drive, for work as well, so options 2 and 3 don't really fit for me. Being a cheapskate I'm considering a fourth option, which is to cut down the upper part of the wardrobe and drawer of the built in furniture to give a wider platform level with the existing bed. That will leave the hob and sink unit still in its cabinet, which will be in the way at one end of the bed but will give full van width for about 2/3rds. I haven't plucked up courage to get the saw out yet, need to simulate the sleep space that would result to see if it would actually help. Can't help feeling there must be a reason I haven't seen that type of set-up.

Our plan was always to convert our SWB to a camper for 2 - no pop top or plumbed cooking/washing up and have a drive away awning for lounge / living etc. flysheet canopy for 1 night stop overs.

If we’re converting a van most items will be the same/similar cost. Solar, battery, fridge, units etc

A MWB crafter would mean its completely self contained - we can pull up, level it and its ready. Downside is the extra height is restrictive. Hmm decisions decisions!

Having camped as a family for years its the setup / take down thats slightly stressful / tedious especially if its raining. Greatly reduced with an awning tent but eliminated with a crafter!

Last edited:
Went from T6 layout to compact MH and know I made the right decision for me and Mrs SMC. Its small enough to be manouverable and gives me a comfortable bed, garage and cooking, showering and toilet facilities which I value above T6 kudos.

We looked at quite a few layouts before converting ours and decided a good nights sleep was the priority. We therefore have a full size double bed with proper mattress and storage underneath.

The removable fridge goes behind the drivers seat. We cook and wash outside the van under a railsail or in the awning. We don’t have a pop top.

The layout and simplicity work for us. We do however mostly stop on sites with facilities.

The setup gives us plenty of storage. We did 3 months around France and Spain this year and also brought back our maximum wine allowance :)

Fitting a shower into a MWB really comprimises living area. Most people who install a shower pod go for the LWB. Apologies if you've already done your research or designs but if not, get some graph paper and draw out some options

Fitting a shower into a MWB really comprimises living area. Most people who install a shower pod go for the LWB. Apologies if you've already done your research or designs but if not, get some graph paper and draw out some options
Hi, yes i've looked into it and Evo Design do a mwb plan which is good. Unfortunately you are correct and fitting a shower does lose some living space, the shower would be the priority though.

That will leave the hob and sink unit still in its cabinet, which will be in the way at one end of the bed but will give full van width for about 2/3rds. I haven't plucked up courage to get the saw out yet, need to simulate the sleep space that would result to see if it would actually help. Can't help feeling there must be a reason I haven't seen that type of set-up.
That sounds quite like a California Beach/Caravelle with a kitchen pod, just approached from a different direction...

Reactions: CAB
2...........sell the van and buy a mwb Crafter, fit a large bed & shower etc....
3...........I don't want to say this on this group but sell the van and buy a motorhome :oops: i cant help but notice that you seem to get a lot more for your money compared to a VW.
I'd argue that those are really the same thing. If you are looking at Crafter's you should definitely look at other similar motorhomes.

The T5/6 pull off a nice trick of being big enough to be a competent camper while also mostly fitting the role of a large family car. If that's what you need then not much comes close - the Merc and Ford equivalents are larger vans on the road.

But if you've tried it and found out what works for you don't be held back by any brand loyalty, it's not like VW have much in return. There are plenty of folks here when you look hard enough that have made the same choice but still hang around because this is a general friendly and helpful place and it's not like van electrics and good camping tips will differ that much.

Last edited:
if you are sure you want to keep the T6 have a look at the Knaus CUV, it might fit what you are after.

Reactions: CAB
We agree about the 112 bed size, but it seemed the most common and was what we got when buying a converted van. The swb van is my daily drive, for work as well, so options 2 and 3 don't really fit for me. Being a cheapskate I'm considering a fourth option, which is to cut down the upper part of the wardrobe and drawer of the built in furniture to give a wider platform level with the existing bed. That will leave the hob and sink unit still in its cabinet, which will be in the way at one end of the bed but will give full van width for about 2/3rds. I haven't plucked up courage to get the saw out yet, need to simulate the sleep space that would result to see if it would actually help. Can't help feeling there must be a reason I haven't seen that type of set-up.
This is effectively what I have, with low level units down one side and a 2 seat California bench so that we have a full width bed. It works for us as we usually have either a Railsail or Khyam awning to cook in (though I have thought about a pod, but don’t think we really need it). I’ve also thought that, if I ever come to sell it, the next owner could easily put in side furniture while leaving everything else as is.

This was it before the California bench and cushions went in:
IMG_0176.jpeg

Then with the bench etc:
IMG_1164.jpeg

And as a bed (we do use a 5cm mattress topper) that we find very comfortable.
IMG_1180.jpeg

The full width bed suits us very well, and I wouldn’t change it. I also considered a U layout, but thought I would need to carry passengers occasionally so ruled that out. I wouldn’t say that this layout is worth particularly less than one with the normal kitchen/wardrobe units down the side, as it has its own advantages and there are plenty of people who prefer it, not wanting to cook in their bedroom for example. But one could probably sell such units if they were removed carefully enough from the van, which would help recompense somewhat.

Jerboa have a camper with two single RIB seats in the middle, and a rear kitchen and toilet. The two seats are either side of the van with a channel up the middle to access the rear. You could use this sort of setup, with a bridge in the middle to allow a wider mattress to be placed over the whole bed base.

There are many pros and cons when comparing theT6 to larger panel vans or coach built motorhomes. We will at some point be swapping to something larger (just upgraded our storage pitch to a larger one in anticipation) but this is not because we no longer love our T6 just our lifestyle will have changed (semi retired) so usage will be different with longer trips away and longer seasons. If you do swap panel vans will likely bring you less issues than a full on motorhome. Good luck.

Just pitching in here - we currently have a T6 ( Bilbos) and have been perfectly happy with it past 5 years. It's used mainly for camping in the summer in France ( 3-4 months) and last year we went to the motorhome/campervan show in October to look at what was available in the next size up ( so Crafter etc). Trouble is we just want the extra space and don't want a shower/loo. Could find nothing commercially available that did this and came away somewhat disappointed. Even the company calling themselves "Bespoke" campers told us that they didn't actually do bespoke campers :rolleyes:. Totally hate the idea of a motorhome. So the only option would be to find someone to convert a Crafter and whilst I haven't looked that hard there didn't seem to be many people that do this.

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 07.42.46.pngScreenshot 2023-10-19 at 07.43.54.png

Back