Changing the steering wheel without airbag warning light [Guide]

Stevo6

I've got a bit confused having read a few posts on this. How do I change the steering wheel without getting an airbag warning light?

Disconnect battery before disconnecting the air bag? If so should that be done with the ignition on or off?

Thanks

switch IGN OFF,

Disconnect battery NEG terminal

switch IGN ON.

wait 30mins ( OEM recommendation )

+++

swap over steering wheel - or whatever

+++

Reconnect battery NEG. (expect a small spark/pop when connecting cable)

switch OFF IGN.

reset Radio & windows

-----------------

The idea of having the IGN ON whilst doing any works with the battery disconnected is that if there is a wire fault that causes the airbag TO DEPLOY, It will happen when you connect the battery in the engine bay and are out of harms way. (standing outside the vehicle)

where as if you didn't . . . . you will be in the firing line of an airbag deployment when your sitting in the drivers seat and switch ON the IGN. - which will be very bad.

+++

+++

I did mine with battery still connected and ignition off, no problems at all I've read in a few places that this is perfectly safe to do.

I did mine with battery still connected and ignition off, no problems at all I've read in a few places that this is perfectly safe to do.
Did you disconnect the airbag? With battery connected won't that throw up a warning light?

Yes, as long as you don't turn the ignition on you'll be golden. There's no problems in disconnecting the battery and if you feel safer doing it that way I fully understand, it's just that my research and experience on 2 separate vans has shown its not necessary. Due to the dangers posed by airbags there's lots of safeguards to prevent their accidental detonation.

So just to be clear - you disconnected the airbag, with the battery connected, then re-connected the airbag - and didn't get the airbag warning light?

This is very confusing as I'm getting conflicting views, from : "it will need resetting whatever", to "make sure you disconnect the battery with the ignition on", to your comment that you can leave the battery connected. Very frustrating!

My understanding is that with the battery still connected, if the ignition is turned on when the airbag, airbag warning light or passenger airbag switch is disconnected, you'd get a warning light when it's all reconnected.

I'd never considered disconnecting the battery, then with the ignition on reconnecting it, therefore being out of the way in case of deployment.

This is in no way a 'how to' but this is what I did.

1.Release steering lock and turn off ignition but don't remove key.
2. Turn wheel 90⁰ and release 1st clip on rear of airbag.
3. Turn wheel 180⁰ and release 2nd clip on rear of airbag.
4. Release wiring connector(s) on airbag and remove.
5. Remove bolt holding wheel to shaft.
6. Put an alignment make on wheel and shaft.
7. Remove wheel, run around with it held out making brum brum noises.
8. Fit new wheel ensuring alignment and secure with bolt + thread sealing liquid.
9. Reconnect wiring and push airbag in to its clips.
10. Ignition on and check functions.

Like I said you can disconnect the battery if you want. I didn't and all was well hope this clears thing up.

So just to be clear - you disconnected the airbag, with the battery connected, then re-connected the airbag - and didn't get the airbag warning light?

This is very confusing as I'm getting conflicting views, from : "it will need resetting whatever", to "make sure you disconnect the battery with the ignition on", to your comment that you can leave the battery connected. Very frustrating!
You will only get an error if you turn the ignition on whilst the airbag is disconnected.

Reactions: mmi
This is in no way a 'how to' but this is what I did.

1.Release steering lock and turn off ignition but don't remove key.
2. Turn wheel 90⁰ and release 1st clip on rear of airbag.
3. Turn wheel 180⁰ and release 2nd clip on rear of airbag.
4. Release wiring connector(s) on airbag and remove.
5. Remove bolt holding wheel to shaft.
6. Put an alignment make on wheel and shaft.
7. Remove wheel, run around with it held out making brum brum noises.
8. Fit new wheel ensuring alignment and secure with bolt + thread sealing liquid.
9. Reconnect wiring and push airbag in to its clips.
10. Ignition on and check functions.

Like I said you can disconnect the battery if you want. I didn't and all was well hope this clears thing up.
this worked perfectly. Thanks

Bit new to all this, my battery is totally off the van and has been for a week or two now.

Am i OK working on it with the battery off or will doing it like this pull up any error codes? Does it need to be on/on but with the neg off?

Bit new to all this, my battery is totally off the van and has been for a week or two now.

Am i OK working on it with the battery off or will doing it like this pull up any error codes? Does it need to be on/on but with the neg off?
Just make sure everything is connected back up before refitting the battery.

Back