Ceramic coating - DIY

ArchieBear

Hi,
I just bought some Hydrolex ceramic sealant.
Just wondering if anybody has done there own cermic coating? Are you happy with the result? Any tips?
Cheers

Would like to have a go but don't have a garage or under cover storage to leave the van/car overnight.

No me neither. Just waiting for a cloudy day, no rain for at least 24h and preferably not for a few days after that.

Does anybody have any experience of doing a ceramic coating at home and if so which products actually work? It’s not actually for the van which is too far gone to make it worthwhile. I am buying a road bike which just has a clear gloss finish over raw carbon, and apparently it is really difficult to get it looking properly clean

The ones I have see after a quick Google are

Or this which seems eye watering lay expensive

A road bike as in push bike?

I'd be tempted to get it clear wrapped... If you drop it or lean it against something then it won't damage the carbon?

If it's gloss lacquered, that shouldn't be any different to clean than a painted frame.

My TT bike is satin lacquered over carbon and that gets washed just like all my other bikes with car shampoo.

In the past I only ever cleaned MTBs and a few motorcycles with an equivalent of WD40 (It was free).
Obviously water and the dirt that’s in it just runs off.
Avoid rubber and sensitive paint.

Yes, it’s a road bike as in push bike. My mountain bikes are Invisiframed as they take a lot of punishment. My current road bike is not protected and I am not thinking of doing anything like that for the new bike. I was just thinking that if these home applied ceramic coatings do actually work, they might give a bit of extra shine for the clear coat and a bit of extra protection at the same time.

I reckon mountain bikes should have a few scrapes and scuffs as it shows they are being properly used which includes a few flying rocks and crashes. Road bikes are a different matter and I prefer to be a bit anal. Not that keen on going down the Invisiframe route for that

Back