Centre Fuse Box Access

BoroBoy

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have pulled fuse SF11 in order to some work on the top dashboard 12v socket. After completion of the work, I am struggling to replace the fuse due to the limited access at the bottom of the fuse board. Can the plastic surrounds be removed to enable full access to the fuse panel? if so, are there any tutorials/threads that cover this? I have used the Search tool, but as yet, no success.

Yes but you'll have to remove the whole lower part of the dash. Starting at the ends each side and work your way to the middle.

Cheers Deaky. When I get the lower side panels off, does the centre console come off in 1 piece or in separate pieces?

I have a comfort dash and the whole gear surround trim comes off as one. Not sure on a standard dash.

its in 3 sections,

glove box side,

middle,

drivers side, (screw behind the light switch)

1606831139102.png

Has anybody modified the lower fuse panel cover to allow simple removal?

I finally got around to making a modification to access ALL of the lower dash fuse panel without removing the lower dash. Thanks to @Carp catcher for donating the cover In case it didn’t work out.
The cut is a single hacksaw blade width.
The two parts bonded on the back with polyester resin.

I took the opportunity to sound deaden the area around the gearshift column and floor pan. Found some ugly OEM wiring hidden under the mat, especially the fuel tank unsheathed conductors getting squashed under the floor before they enter the floor grommet.

BD365D01-A45C-4E5A-89A3-C222A1154847.jpeg

8DB0B785-69CB-4E78-8C18-D18B14B07485.jpeg

I finally got around to making a modification to access ALL of the lower dash fuse panel without removing the lower dash. Thanks to @Carp catcher for donating the cover In case it didn’t work out.
The cut is a single hacksaw blade width.
The two parts bonded on the back with polyester resin.

I took the opportunity to sound deaden the area around the gearshift column and floor pan. Found some ugly OEM wiring hidden under the mat, especially the fuel tank unsheathed conductors getting squashed under the floor before they enter the floor grommet.

View attachment 192419

View attachment 192420
Those fuse taps are upside down. Wire should be exiting on the LHS for them to be correctly fused :)

Those fuse taps are upside down. Wire should be exiting on the LHS for them to be correctly fused :)
I didn’t notice, thanks. The red cables are inline fuse holders so it’s protected a few inches from the taps.

I didn’t notice, thanks. The red cables are inline fuse holders so it’s protected a few inches from the taps.
It's not the end of the world but that way round you're adding the load of your new circuit after the fuse of the existing one, with the tail to the LHS the common pin on the fuse tap will be in the fuse box common rail, before the existing fuse.

It's not the end of the world but that way round you're adding the load of your new circuit after the fuse of the existing one, with the tail to the LHS the common pin on the fuse tap will be in the fuse box common rail, before the existing fuse.
I’ll switch it around, it’s only the dashcam and satnav.

Thank you for the hacksaw suggestion. It works, and I'm grateful to feel I am not alone here. I had to do this, because I needed to prove that an auto-electrician had NOT in fact checked my rear wiper motor fuse in position 25, which is practically inaccessible to normal sized hands and most usual tools.
I tried this today in desperation due to a rear wiper issue (a [blown] fuse that was supposedly checked, but was actually not checked!) - and while I have not yet put the bits back together, the ease of access is refreshing!!!
Basically the 2 vertical hacksaw cuts release a triangular bit of plastic that could be trimmed-up and then glued to the bottom end of the square-ish fusebox cover.

TP20230910012_VW_van_mid_fuse_box_revised_access.jpgTP20230910014_VW_van_mid_fuse_box_revised_access.jpgTP20230910015_VW_van_mid_fuse_box_revised_access.jpgTP20230910016_VW_van_mid_fuse_box_revised_access.jpg

Thanks for anyone's help with this or related issues - Regards, Tim.

Back